What You Need
To install a basic website in the Umbraco CMS, you need the following:
- A clean and empty installation of the Umbraco CMS.
- This tutorial uses a copy of the Custom Umbraco Template – a HTML5, responsive website template. Download the Custom Umbraco Template or, if you prefer, you can use your own flat HTML files.
To download the latest version of Umbraco, refer to the Installation article. On the installation wizard, follow the steps:
- Enter your Name, Email, and Password.
- Click Next.
- In the Configure your database window, enter the connection and authentication details for the database you want to install Umbraco.
- Click Continue.
- The installation will take a couple of minutes to complete.
- Once the installation is complete, you will see the Umbraco Backoffice screen.
Preparing the Custom Umbraco Template Site
- Unzip the Custom Umbraco Template to a folder on your system.
- Open the index.html from the folder in your preferred browser to see the template. The template contains some text with dummy links. We’re going to turn this into a fully fledged, Umbraco-powered site!
Logging in to Umbraco
You can login to Umbraco in two ways:
- Once the installation is complete, you will see the Login screen. You can enter the Name and Password used during the installation process.
- Run localhost in your browser, you will see the Login screen:
- Enter the Name and Password used during the installation process. You should see a similar Umbraco Backoffice as the image below: