Working with Folders
All media within your site first needs to be loaded into the Media section. The Media section is a media library for the site. Within the Media section you can create folders and files in a similar manner to that of your desktop computer.
Folders can be used to help organize the Media section and to keep similar items in a logical structure. It is highly recommended to ensure you use folders to organize your media. When your media library starts to grow folders they become essential in locating media quickly and easily.
Creating a Folder
- Select the folder to which you would like the new folder to be a sub-folder of (if you want to create a folder at the root of the media section then hover over the media title).
- Click on the options icon (•••) and click choose the folder from the context menu.
- Enter a name for your folder and click Save to create the folder.
Folders are purely for sorting within the media section. They will not be part of the image URL nor will they create a folder on the server with the given name.
Editing a Folder
If you wish to edit an existing folder you can follow this process:
- Click the folder you wish to edit from the media tree view.
- You can then click the title at the top of the page which then gives the ability to edit the title.
- Click Save to make the change.
Deleting a Folder
If you wish to tidy up the Media section of your site, you can delete existing folders. Once you have deleted a folder, it is sent to the Recycle Bin. If you change your mind, you can restore the deleted folder from the Recycle Bin.
- Select the folder you want to delete.
- Right click the folder, and click Delete from the context menu.
- Click OK to confirm deletion of the page, or click Cancel to cancel deletion.
Note that the contents of the folder are also moved to the Recycle Bin. You can restore items from the Recycle Bin in the same way as you can in the Content section.
Restoring a Folder from the Recycle Bin
The Recycle Bin is a separate tree structure within the Media panel and you can recognise it by the recycling symbol to the left. If you click the triangle in front of the Recycle Bin, you will see its contents. To restore a folder, move the item to the part of the tree where you want the item to be. Read more about how to do this in the section entitled Moving a Folder.
Moving a Folder
You can move folders within the Media section using the Move function.
- Select the folder you want to move.
- Right click the folder and click Move from the context menu.
- Select the parent folder you want to move the folder below.
Sorting the Contents of a Folder
Media items in Umbraco are sorted in the tree view according to a predefined sort order. It is common for the item that has been created most recently to be placed at the bottom of the tree structure. You can change the sort order of the items in a folder by using the sort function.
- Select the folder to sort.
- Right click the folder, and click Sort from the context menu.
- Drag the folders, images and files into the required order. Alternatively, click on the Name or Creation Date column header to sort the items automatically by Name or Creation Date. Clicking on a column header again reverses the sort order.
- Click Save.