The easiest way to get the latest version of Umbraco up and running is with VS Code.
- Download and install Visual Studio Code
- Download and install IIS Express (Optional as IIS Express for VSCode will install it)
- Download and unzip Umbraco
- Install the IIS Express Extension for VS Code
- Open the unzipped root folder in VS Code
- Run the website with the IIS Express Extension (CTRL+F5)
- Follow instructions on installer
If you have never used VS Code before you can check out a more detailed guide below that shows these steps more in depth to run a local instance of Umbraco. Below you'll find some in-depth tutorials on the different ways to install Umbraco.
Visual Studio Code is an editor with an embedded webserver (through the IIS Express extension). An fast way to get you up and running with Umbraco.
NuGet is the package manager for the Microsoft development platform, including .NET. The NuGet client tools provide the ability to produce and consume packages. NuGet allows you to install Umbraco without ever having to leave Visual Studio.
Umbraco does not run natively on Mac OS but it's possible to get Windows up and running on your Mac. Click on the link tools and information on how to run Umbraco on a mac to find out more about how to do this and the tools available to you.