After logging in to an Umbraco project you will be presented with a dashboard containing a wide array of buttons and features. Let's quickly go through what each feature does.
By default, there are two dashboards available:
- The Getting Started dashboard provides helpful information about Umbraco.
- The Redirect URL Management dashboard displays the original and redirected links of the published pages which are moved to a new location in your project.
Search, Help, and Profile Settings
- The Search bar allows you to search for the content in your entire project.
- The Help icon provides different Help options such as Tours, Umbraco Learning Base YouTube videos, Umbraco Documentation, and your System Information.
- The profile icon allows you to edit your profile, change the password, and Logout from the application.
The Sections Menu
The following sections are available in the backoffice:
- Content - allows to manage your content.
- Media - allows to manage images and other media files.
- Settings - allows to handle your meta data such as document types.
- Packages - allows to manage and install packages.
- Users - allows to manage the users on the project. To learn more about users, see the Users article.
- Members - allows to handle the members of the project. If you want to learn more about Members, see the Members article.
- Forms - allows to create and manage your forms.
- Translation - allows to manage dictionary items.
The menu list will differ depending on your permissions for the project. For example: if you are an editor, then you will only have access to Content, Media and Forms as per default settings.
The Section tree
The section tree is different depending on the section you are in. The section provides an overview of the nodes contained in the tree.
In this example, you are looking at the content section.
The Content tab allows you to create content nodes and manage your content tree. When you hover over the sections, it is highlighted with a darker color indicating that you are hovering over it. A button with three dots will show up, left-click or right-click to view additional options.
The Recycle Bin contains the deleted content and is available only in the Content and the Media section.