Add a Blog Post Publication Date
In this lesson, you will learn how to add a new date property to blog posts.
Content editors can specify the publication date for a blog post. Blog posts are displayed with the most recent publication date appearing first.
Learn how to:
- Add a new property to a Document Type
- Edit a Template to display the new property
- Sort a list of items by a new property
Steps - Part One
In the Settings section, expand Document Types.
Click on Blogpost: this is the Document Type that defines the fields for this type of page.
The Document Type contains 2 groups: Content and Navigation & SEO.
- At the bottom of the Content group select Add property.
- This opens the Property Editor dialog window.
Give the property a name: Publication Date.
Give the property a description: The date of the blog post. This is the date used to display the most recent posts first..
- Always try to add a meaningful description to help your editors.
Select Add editor to specify what type of data is being stored.
- We need a standard date, so select the Use existing tab, then click on the Date Picker icon.
In the validation section tick to say that the field is mandatory.
Submit to close the dialog and save the property.
Select the Reorder option near the top-right of the pane, then drag the new property to be after Page Title.
- A logical order to your properties will make things easier for your editors.
Save the Document Type - a confirmation message should appear confirming that the Document Type was saved.