How to set up a custom Footer
It can be challenging to set up a footer if you have never tried it before. This guide will help you set up a structured and informative footer for your website.
You can set the theme for your footer by navigating to Theme settings under Settings in the Content menu. Here you'll find a Footer group, where you can set a color theme and change the container width.
This is how the footer should look after you have gone through the guide:
What widgets does footer have
Here you will find a list over the widgets available to you when working with the footer. The list is as follows:
- Opening Hours
- Social Links
- Line Breaker
Locating the Footer settings
The Footer settings for your Umbraco Uno website are located in a group on the home page.
- Go to the Umbraco Backoffice
- Select your home page - the first item in the Content tree
- In the workspace, scroll to the bottom and find the group called Footer
Remove existing Footer content
As the Unicorn Hotel site already has a Footer set up, we will start this guide by deleting the existing element.
To do this, hover the Footer Columns text and select the ellipses (...). From the menu that pops up, select Remove all items and click Delete to confirm.
We now have a clean slate, where we can start setting up our own custom Footer.
In order to add content to the footer, click on “Add Content”. This will give us 7 options for content to add to the footer. In this guide, we will go through 4 of these.
Let’s start by adding a Navigation with some links.
- Click on Add content and select Navigation from the list
- Set column width to 25%
- Choose a heading for your navigation list
- Next go to the field called “Links” and select Add - a window will pop out in the right-hand side
- Navigate to the part of the window that says Link to page where you will see a replica of your content tree
- Choose an item from the tree - in this case, we'll choose "Unicorn Hotel"
- Click Submit to add the link
- Repeat the steps above to add a few more links to the navigation
Now we select "Add content" again. This time, we will be adding some opening hours.
- Select the Opening Hours widget
- Set the Column width to 25% again
- Align Content Center
- Choose a Heading
- Next to where it says "Opening hours", click Add Content
- Add a Day and a Time slot into the two fields - this can be any format, eg. numbers or words
- Add as many instances of the "Opening hours" as you need
The next step is to add some contact info to our footer.
- Click Add Content and choose the Contact widget
- Set the "Column Width" to 25%
- Choose Align "Right"
- The Heading could be "Contact us"
- Add your address in the text field
- The next option is to add your phone number
- Lastly is the option to add your email
For our final piece of content in the footer we will go with some links to social media.
- Click Add content and select the Social Links widget
- Set the Column width to 25%
- Align Content Left
- Heading could be something like "Find us at:"
- Add the URLs for your social media pages
The last option is to add some text to the very bottom of the page using the Bottom Text field. This could be a copyright text or something along those lines.
Finalize the footer by clicking "Save" or "Save and publish".
We have now created a custom footer for our website.
There are many more ways to customize the footer section and make it fit the website you're creating.