Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• tech bud 2 posts 71 karma points
    6 days ago
    tech bud

Something which I learned about Umbraco

I interviewed with a medium sized C#/.NET shop last week about a mid-level dev role.

The IT Director said the role is on one of his teams that solely worked with the open source CMS called Umbraco. The Director admitted very few are experienced with Umbraco but believes the company can train a mid-level C# guy with minimal issues.

My concern is this. I've been a ASP.NET 4.6 MVC 5 guy for about 3 years and gotten pretty good at it. If I were to join a team that's hyper-focused on Umbraco..... would that be a detrimental career move if my goal is to be a well-rounded Senior .NET dev in the future?

What do you know about Umbraco?

How much custom C#/.NET code could one write when working with this CMS?

Would having this experience produce any transferable skills? Don't want to be pigeonholed and have a career stymied.

Thanks.

• Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com 270 posts 1195 karma points
    3 days ago
    Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com

Hi,

From my experience, I can ensure that it will add a feather to your cap.

Umbraco CMS is built on .NET and latest release is built on Dependency Injector. This makes its very up-to-date in terms of technology stack on .NET.

Quite a few Umbraco projects require integration with various Third Party API's and enhancement of the tool. This all require custom .NET.

Just check with the company on few things and stick to it for a year:- 1. You role is in development rather than support. 2. You are going to be involved with latest built v7.14+ or v8.1.4+. 3. Upgrade of old sites to new sites. 4. Try to be added to large Umbraco project as that mostly need custom .NET development and integration with various API's.

We do both MVC and Umbraco projects and knowledge of this tool has helped us to provide client a better solution at the end. So, knowledge on this Tool will help you when you are in a decision maker role later on in your career.

Cheers,

Shaishav

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft