The Package Team
We help you expand the functionalities of Umbraco by making package development, distribution
and usage simpler and fulfilling.
- Helping people create packages
- Helping people use packages
- Helping people contribute to packages
- Gathering feedback, promotion, celebrating contributions and content creation
- To promote packages as a first-class citizen
- To provide and maintain clear structure and development guidelines
- To help and encourage new and returning package developers
- To ensure a transparent and open collaboration and exchange with the HQ dev team and the other community teams
- To improve the usability of the Our package section
- Maintaining documentation on how to create a package, best practices and tackling common problems as a package developer
- Organizing and holding bi-weekly follow-up online meetings - discuss the current state of the packages repository, potential improvements, and plans going forward
- Appointing and empowering new team members from the community when needed
- Writing and publishing follow-up and updates blog posts on umbraco.com, including reporting on relevant metrics
- Participating in hackathons, panel discussions, meetups, and conferences/festivals to assist new package developers, talk about the structure of the team, achievements, and future goals
We have a roadmap that will be continuously updated. It can be found on the Umbraco.Packages issue tracker.
- The team uses a dedicated Slack channel to communicate, and the issue tracker to comment and follow-up on tasks. In-person meetings are scheduled twice a year:
- May- Around Codegarden
- November - Team visit to HQ
Getting in touch with the Team:
- To ask questions or share remarks, the Packages Issue Tracker is the recommended channel to use.
- For those who don’t have a Github account, they can send an email to email@example.com
Joining the Team:
- An online application will be open once a year, typically in September. (A Google form with a link in the corresponding blog post and on Our)
- Ad hoc appointments can be made in case a team member chooses to step down.
HQ support and role:
- Appointed a steward to work as a half time job
- Ensure transparency and visibility
- Support where relevant
- Provide financial support for travel and accommodations to participate in meetings and events
Current team members:
- Jesper Mayntzhusen (Umbraco HQ - Denmark)
- Lotte Pitcher (United Kingdom)
- Nik Rimington (United Kingdom)
- Richard Ockerby (United Kingdom)
- Kevin Jump (United Kingdom)
- Dave Woestenborghs (Belgium)
- The team is ideally organized as a group of no more than 6 members:
- 1 HQ employee - Steward
- 3-5 community volunteers
- With a team lead, Steward, in the center, the team is organized around fulfilling different roles according to the skillset and preferences of each.
The Steward’s role is focused on:
- Facilitating for the team
- Providing the necessary support to the different members
- Coordinating with the HQ dev team and the stewards of the other community teams
First version. Published in November 2019. Updates will follow.