The MVP award is valid for only one year. However, we want to recognize previous years’ MVPs who are still active and take of their time to contribute to Umbraco and the friendly community.
Through an application form, the community members can nominate the current MVPs for the renewal of their title. It is also possible for the MVPs to apply for a renewal, which we highly encourage.
The selection of New and Renewed MVPs is based on the activity of the applicant/nominee during the 12 months leading up to Codegarden.
This translates into being friendly in the forum, making incredible and highly useful packages, submitting pull-requests, starting a new initiative that helps the existing community members as well as the newcomers, and whatever this wonderful bunch of people gets up to.
The selection favors quality over quantity. The Umbraco contribution code of conduct and values are at the center of this process.
The applications are open once a year, a few months before the Codegarden Conference. For the year 2020, the timeline is:
- 25 February 2020: Application opens
- 10 March 2020: Application closes (at 4 pm CET)
- 26 March 2020 (Postponed to a later date): Notification emails will be sent to the selected MVPs
The selected new and renewed MVPs will receive a Congratulation! email applauding them for their great work and nicely asking them to keep the big news a secret until they are announced on stage in front of hundreds from the Umbraco community during the Codegarden opening keynote.
Benefits of the renewed MVP status
We do it slightly different from the new MVP, but the love and recognition are still there:
- Although renewed MVPs don’t get to step on stage during the opening keynote, we still shout out about them in the MVP blog post.
- They also make it to the shortlist for the Retreat invite.
- The MVP badges on Our are updated to show the number of times they were awarded the MVP status.
- We also share a digital badge the MVPs can use in their email signatures or websites.
- And last but not least, a free cloud project for all MVPs. The MVPs can send an email to email@example.com with their full name and alias of the project. The subject of the email should mention Free cloud account for MVPs.