The MVP award is valid for only one year. However, we want to recognize previous years’ MVPs who are still active and take of their time to contribute to Umbraco and the friendly community.
Umbraco HQ nominates and selects MVPs for renewal of their status for the year. The nomination is based on the activity of the community members during the 12 months leading up to Codegarden.
As with new MVPs, this translates into being friendly in the forum, making incredible and highly useful packages, submitting pull-requests, starting a new initiative that helps the existing community members as well as the newcomers, and whatever this wonderful bunch of people gets up to.
The selection favors quality over quantity. The Umbraco contribution code of conduct and values are at the center of this process.
The nomination and selection process takes place 8 weeks before Codegarden. A “Congratulation!” email is sent to the renewed MVPs 6-7 weeks before Codegarden, applauding them for their great work and nicely asking them to keep the big news a secret until they are announced during the Codegarden opening keynote.
Benefits of the renewed MVP status
We do it slightly different from the new MVP, but the love and recognition are still there:
- Although renewed MVPs don’t get to step on stage during the opening keynote, we still shout out about them in the MVP blog post.
- They also make it to the shortlist for the Retreat invite.
- The MVP badges on Our are updated to show the number of times they were awarded the MVP status.
- We also share a digital badge the MVPs can use in their email signatures or websites.
- And last but not least, a free cloud project for all MVPs. The MVPs can send an email to email@example.com with their full name and alias of the project. The subject of the email should mention Free cloud account for MVPs.