Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5269 karma points MVP 2x
    Mar 17, 2016 @ 12:58
    Shannon Deminick

v8 code cleanup - Help Wanted!

Hi All,

I've recently been tweeting a few things regarding v8:

v8 code cleanup is in progress and we would love your help! A lot of the cleanup is reasonably easy to do and it's actually very fun/satisfying seeing all that old legacy/deprecated/obsolete code finally being deleted :)

We've got quite a few responses on Twitter from folks mentioning they would like to help out so here's some info on how/where to start. I haven't documented every tiny thing that we need to cleanup in the codebase, a lot of the cleanup is discovered when other cleanup is done.

• The current list of v8 "Up for grabs" issues can be found here
    • I've tried to tag the Up for grabs tasks with a difficultly level
    • ALL submitted work must be submitted in the form of Pull Requests (see: https://our.umbraco.org/contribute/working-with-the-umbraco-source/)
      • If the change is going to be more than a few commits, it would be best to submit the PR after the first commit, this way we can review your progress as you go and when your task is complete you can let us know that it's ready to be pulled in
    • ALL submitted work must contain notes for reviewers in the task
    • Any discussions while working on a task should be done directly on that task
    • To "Claim" an issue, just comment directly on it and say "I'll do this one" (or whatever) and a member of the HQ will assign you as the Contributor of the issue and assign themselves as the Assignee - so you can have a Core programming buddy ;)
    • You can change the State of an issue - so when you start, move it into "In Progress".
    • When you've submitted a PR, be sure to add the link to the issue.
    • When you have completed the issue, move it to "Review"

If you discover more code that should be removed/migrated, that is awesome! Just create an issue for it with details and let us know :)

Any questions/comments/suggestions about this process, please reply below.

Have fun!

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 09:39
    Dan Lister

Thanks Shannon. How should we assign a task to ourselves or would it be just a case of pick any task you'd like? I don't want to step on any ones toes if they've already started a task.

Thanks, Dan

Mar 18, 2016 @ 09:42
    Shannon Deminick

Hi Dan,

I've just added another column to issues called "Contributor", this can be assigned from HQ members and then we'll tag the issue accordingly. So the best way to 'claim' an issue is to just comment on it and say "I'll do this!" :)

I'll update the post above with more instructions

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 09:43
    Dan Lister

Awesome! First card picked up :D

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 21, 2016 @ 16:49
    Dave Woestenborghs

Which branch should we start from ? Is that dev-v8 ?

Dave

Mar 21, 2016 @ 17:00
    Shannon Deminick

Yup! Make sure when submitting PRs that you target them to the dev-v8 branch too.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 21, 2016 @ 18:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Is the build.bat supposed to work as usual for building Umbraco so one can check, which changes have been done? I have some trouble getting the build to succeed...so just wondering if it's supposed to be working or if it's expected to currently break due to the changes being made :) - I'm on the dev-v8 branch.

/Jan

Mar 21, 2016 @ 18:56
    Shannon Deminick

Prob not, the v8 is VERY volatile. I haven't even tried to run the build.bat file. Currently you just need to use Visual Studio. Open the solution and start it, if it builds and works it's fine.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Mar 21, 2016 @ 19:02
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Also: build.bat doesn't do all that much magic, the most important 2 steps: it runs BuildBelle.bat (which can be avoided if you have grunt, just run grunt build in src/Umbraco.Web.UI.Client and then it runs the Visual Studio build, as said, that can be done from VS.

The rest of the build is packaging up which will definitely fail when a lot of projects are missing.

Finally: we ignore (don't run) the v8 build on AppVeyor as so much is changing and will be changing, it doesn't make much sense to keep the build running when it's still in flux a lot.

Mar 21, 2016 @ 19:15
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Okay, as an update, I had to try. build.bat doesn't build the NuGets but it builds the zip file, which installs too. Just don't try to install Fanoe (or probably any starter kit).

enter image description here

Mar 21, 2016 @ 19:24
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Update2: I fixed the NuGet build so it should build completely from build.bat for now.. until the next DLL gets removed ;-)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 21, 2016 @ 22:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Had some weird issue on my main machine - Saw the same weird issue on the laptop when I made 1st build on it but after installing the targetting stuff for .net4.6.1 and building again it worked...did the same on main machine but it keeps failing even though the setup seems to be identical...I'm probably missing something on it...the main thing is that I got it to work afterall :)

PR is submitted too - yay!

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft