Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ívar Oddsson 9 posts 100 karma points
    Jun 17, 2016 @ 14:25
    Ívar Oddsson

Contributing: Initial Umbraco setup.

Hello.

I wanted to start contributing to the Umbraco CMS and I'm running into some trouble setting up the project. These are the steps I took to get the source code and where I got stuck.

1. Forked https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS.
    2. Cloned the repo.
    3. Ran /build/Build.bat
    4. Built and ran the project.

The page doesn't load correctly, what I'm getting is this: The issue I'm having with initial umbraco setup

Anybody know what's wrong? I'm really new to Umbraco so this might be something supremely simple :)

• Damiaan 442 posts 1301 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 18, 2016 @ 21:56
    Damiaan

Do you want to work with umbraco or do you really want to contribute?

If you want to work with umbraco, check the getting started section of the documentation.

If you want to contribute, check out the "contribute" section.

Jun 18, 2016 @ 22:32
    Ívar Oddsson

I'm already working with Umbraco and I was inspired by this years Codegarden to start contributing :) I followed the instructions on the contribute site but am not having any success, unfortunately, because of this issue.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 19, 2016 @ 00:39
    Aaron Powell

My guess is there's a JS error being thrown, can you check your dev tool console to see if there's an errors?

Also are you using the dev-v7 branch or another branch?

Jun 19, 2016 @ 01:29
    Aaron Powell

Just done a clean clone of dev-v7 and can repo the above, it seems the JS isn't being generated properly. Having a look into it.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jun 19, 2016 @ 08:58
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I found on another machine that the problem was solved after installing Git Extensions. It's not really a solution but it worked.

I think the problem was that git isn't correctly installed in the path that npm, grunt or bower uses to build the backoffice JS.

It might help to install only Git but I did have one report saying it didn't work either.

Jun 19, 2016 @ 10:57
    Aaron Powell

Just poked around in the various .bat files and there's a few hard-coded paths which really isn't ideal.

I know I have git, node (and npm) in the path on this machine, so that wouldn't be a problem.

The need for a globally installed grunt bothers me, it runs the risk of clashing with other globally installed version, it's better to shim with a npm script.

• Andy Butland 422 posts 2334 karma points MVP 4x hq c-trib
    Jun 19, 2016 @ 09:18
    Andy Butland

Not sure if this will help but whenever I build the client-side code I do it by opening a command prompt in Umbraco.Web.UI.Client and running grunt build. That seems to work without error with the current dev-v7 branch.

In case there's a problem with build.bat might be worth trying the above.

Andy

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jun 19, 2016 @ 09:42
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Good point!

If you do not have npm and grunt installed yet, the other option is to have VS2015 installed (community edition is free) and run the "vs" build from Task Runner Explorer.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Jun 19, 2016 @ 10:58
    Aaron Powell

Need to make sure you've got a globally installed version of grunt though.

Jun 19, 2016 @ 11:00
    Ívar Oddsson

Success! This is the one that worked for me :) Thank's everyone for the help.

Jun 19, 2016 @ 11:27
    Ívar Oddsson

Oh, btw the solution for me was to add git to Path and run grunt build in Umbraco.Web.Ui.Client, for anyone who might also have this problem :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft