Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dennis Flæng Jørgensen 35 posts 145 karma points c-trib
    Oct 07, 2016 @ 19:15
    Dennis Flæng Jørgensen

A server error occurred on first build

So I wanted to try and contribute to the Umbraco source code and did the following.

• Forked the Umbraco project on Github
    • Cloned it using Github for Windows to my local disk
    • Ran the build.bat in the build-folder
    • Launched the umbraco.sln and hit F5 to build and debug

And now I get the "A server error occurred - This is most likely due to an error during application startup" error. I tried to delete the local folder and re-clone it (again with Github for Windows). But the same error pops up.

Im running (as administrator):

• the newest version of Github for Desktop (3.3.1.0)
    • Visual Studio Professional 2015 (14.0.247200 Update 1)
    • .NET Framework 4.6.01586

Any ideas?

• Andy Butland 422 posts 2334 karma points MVP 4x hq c-trib
    Oct 08, 2016 @ 12:15
    Andy Butland

Just comparing with what I do, try ignoring the build.bat file and just open the cloned solution in Visual Studio and do a rebuild.

You'll also need to run grunt build in the Umbraco.Web.UI.Client folder to build the front-end.

Then make sure the Umbraco.Web.UI project is the start-up project and run with F5 or Ctrl + F5.

Oh, and check you are in dev-v7 branch to be using the code from the latest work on version 7.

Andy

• Dennis Flæng Jørgensen 35 posts 145 karma points c-trib
    Oct 08, 2016 @ 13:25
    Dennis Flæng Jørgensen

Thanks Andy. Running the "grunt build" did the trick.

If anyone drops by this thread with the same problem and, like me, isn't familar with grunt here's a step by step:

Right click the "gruntFile.js" in the Umbraco.Web.UI.Client-project and click "Task Runner Explorer".

enter image description here

Then collapse the "Tasks"-node in the tree and look for "Alias Tasks" and then the "build" node. Right click the build node and click "Run". It should say "Done, without errors." when its completed it's tasks.

• Sagar Kayasth 1 post 71 karma points
    Feb 08, 2021 @ 09:45
    Sagar Kayasth

Hello

I get same error. Also i did this Right click the "gruntFile.js" in the Umbraco.Web.UI.Client-project and click "Task Runner Explorer".

but stuck here.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft