Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jim 17 posts 60 karma points
    Dec 28, 2017 @ 19:12
    Jim

How to get attention on an issue

I reported a problem here in November which made Umbraco unusable under certain simple conditions. It was suggested that I create an issue, which I did Umbraco.MemberHasAccess generates slow query after upgrading

I diagnosed the problem and a contributor agreed and isolated the commit that caused the problem. I also contributed code that can be used to show the problem as well as q query optimization that will fix it.

My issue is that this serious problem is just sitting there and apparently receiving no notice or attention. This is concerning because so many minor or cosmetic issues get immediate attention while this problem is getting no attention.

I guess I could attempt to implement the fix, but given the context this is better done by a main contributor.

What can I do to give the issue more attention? As a manager of products myself, I am surprised that issues like this don't get a high priority.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 29, 2017 @ 10:16
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hi Jim,

I can definitely understand that what you perceive as unimportant changes getting immediate attention is frustrating. Remember that Umbraco was built to help editors update their website easily, what may seem like a minor cosmetic update to you might make a huge difference for the experience editors have with Umbraco.

There's a huge number of things we want to improve in Umbraco, but we're a small team so we need to prioritize. We prioritize issues with several thoughts in mind:

• Does it break a site completely (ie. does it throw errors)
    • Do many people experience the issue
    • If it does not affect a lot of people: how long has the problem been there, if it has been there for a while and not many people have complained about it, it might not be a big problem
    • Is there a workaround

This is not an exhaustive list, but these apply to your case here: there's no direct error message, you're the only one I've seen complain about it and the change was already made in August. It therefore seems like it's not a problem affecting many people.

I would recommend that, for now, you add some simple caching on that query method that is causing you a bit of pain. Surely, you don't need to check in the database for every request if the member still has access to the page.

That said, it is always easier for us to consider a pull request as opposed to inline code in an issue. With a PR we can easily check out your branch locally and test the updates. So if you can, it would be awesome if you work on that so that we can prioritize this a bit higher.

Since this is a rather critical method that many people rely on to work correctly, we need to evaluate updates carefully. First, we need to reproduce the issue, then check that the fix actually improves performance. Then we need to make especially sure that we don't accidentally break something and give people too much access.

Hope this helps in the understanding of the delay in getting this fixed!

• Jim 17 posts 60 karma points
    Dec 29, 2017 @ 14:34
    Jim

Thank you for the response Sebastiaan. I understand about prioritizing and I am not looking for an immediate fix. My concern is that this problem is that I believe I am using Umbraco in the intended, documented way. It worked, then it didn't with an update - it broke - error message or not. My site with good (standard) code is unusable now. Are you suggesting that Umbraco.MemberHasAccess(item.Id, item.Path) should not be used? The new code is clearly a problem.

In my world these problems get a high priority, and I think that is the source of my frustration. Weather other people complain or not, I've shown you the problem, so you don't need to wait for complaints. Wouldn't it be better to fix it before people more people complain?

I am really not complaining here, I am trying to convince you that these things kinds of things are important. The issue I submitted over a month ago looks like it hasn't even been considered. Maybe it has and it just hasn't been updated or qualified by anyone - idk.

In any case, I will get set up to change the code and do a pull request.

Dec 30, 2017 @ 10:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I totally understand you Jim and unfortunately we have to prioritize, a problem that is bothering 2 people is not as important as one where people can't work around for a while until it gets fixed.

Wouldn't it be better to fix it before people more people complain?

A lot of times, yes, that would be the case. However, we have a few hundred other issues that would be good to fix before more people complain too. :-)

That said, I'll see if I can get someone to have a look at this one, seems like an odd performance drop.

Dec 30, 2017 @ 11:52
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Unfortunately I can't reproduce your problem, maybe you can follow up on the issue tracker to on how to get into a state where the application is slow to check MemberHasAccess.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft