Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark 91 posts -18 karma points
    Jan 24, 2018 @ 09:36
    Mark

Doc Type Grid Editor in the Core

I have just proposed a new feature to have the Doc Type Grid Editor added to the Core.

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-10890

If you think this would be a good idea please vote and add your comments below, equally, vote and comment if you think this is a bad idea.

If you don't know what the Doc Type Grid Editor is, check it out here

It is singularly the best plugin for Umbraco ever to be developed, in my opinion, and your users and projects are missing out if you are not using it.

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jan 24, 2018 @ 17:00
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Mark

I am a fan also of this package, however have discovered some issues when using RTE's as a property of a document type - links are a bit wonky...

However having said that it certainly makes it easy to provide custom snippets of code / site content...

Personally with respect to having items in the core, I love Umbraco because it is bare bones and you build it - in adding functionality to the core as popular packages come along increase maintenance time / costs for the Core team, and then also the core might be at risk of becoming a behemoth (like other CMS's out there) which for me would disappointing.

Just sharing a brain fart so hope you get where I am coming from.

Cheers, Nigel

Jan 25, 2018 @ 08:26
    Mark

Hey Nigel

I get you.

What I will say is that anything that increases the flexibility and enhances the content editors experience should be promoted. Unfortunately, there are a lot of plugins out there like you say, and that means the good ones, the valuable ones, the ones that genuinely make the user experience comparable to Umbracos competition need to be made part of the Core. The Grid, Nested Content and now, Document Types in the Grid, it's actually just a natural progression if you think about it.

We shouldn't be afraid to push Umbraco to be a contender against products like Sitecore and EPIServer who have way richer Editor experiences.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jan 25, 2018 @ 14:02
    Niels Hartvig

Make sure to ask the package developers first if they think it's a good idea :)

Jan 25, 2018 @ 15:15
    Mark

Hey Niels

It is developed by the legend that is Lee Kelleher , he seems to be down with the idea, Doc Type Grid Editor being such a fantastic idea, who wouldn't be!

Can we count on your vote there young Niels?

Edit: Lee's surname

Jan 25, 2018 @ 15:17
    Mark

Also, what happened to the Poll from the 2018 Reception?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 25, 2018 @ 15:28
    Lee Kelleher

I'm not against the suggestion, but said it's up to the community to make the case for Core inclusion, (via the issue tracker). I applaud your enthusiasm for initiating this!

We developed DTGE for a specific requirement, which may or may not be a general use case for the majority of Umbraco users.

The question is, what editorial problem is DTGE attempting to solve? Then if we (as a community) can identify that, a solution for Umbraco may not be DTGE but maybe an evolution of the Grid itself?

Jan 25, 2018 @ 15:43
    Mark

Hi Lee

I have been using the model that DTGE allows me, in digital agencies up and down the UK over the last year with great success and appreciation from Editors and Project owners.

The Grid was a major advancement in the usability of Umbracos Backoffice, no question. DTGE allows Developers to leverage that advancement and offer Editors nicely contained modules that are strongly typed DocTypes, its a ridiculously powerful and easy win-win.

DTGE in the core is a total no-brainer, the model you have come up with via DTGE is a natural progression of the Grid, uses existing architecture and is already being copied within the community to lesser success.

Let's be honest Umbraco tails large industry players like Sitecore, EPiServer and Sitefinity when it comes to Editor experience. The Grid upped Umbraco's game, lets up it again this year with DTGE a part of every install.

Edit: Gramma

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jan 26, 2018 @ 11:14
    Søren Kottal

I think it makes great sense to use the approach from DTGE for a Core grid editor implentation.

If we are going to have DTGE (or something similar) in core, I think the package.manifests for these editors must die though. There must be some kind of internal way to store them, just like doctypes and datatypes.

And also a better compatibility with ModelsBuilder. We use a custom @inherits on our DTGE views to convert the DTGE IPublishedContent into the model of the doctype.

So while I would love to have DTGE in Core, I think there is some work to do, before it fits perfectly. And if I guess HQs intentions correctly, new features must be near perfect to get in.

Jan 26, 2018 @ 11:41
    Mark

You are totally right Soren, if you check the feature request (please vote for the feature) you will see that Barry Fogarty mentions this.

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-10890#comment=67-44178

Given the config is just a formality, dropping the configuration in favour of using existing DocType configuration would make the plugin a perfect fit for minimal work.

Lee Kelleher, the plugin author also has form in writing plugins that are easily integrated into the core, Nested Content, anyone?

Actually, while we are discussing DTGE and Nested Content, why isn't Lee an MVP yet? He has god-like status in the UK community based on his work.

Edit: He is an MVP, my mistake, is there one up from MVP? If so how do we get Lee awarded this honour?

• Nicolas Erlijman 14 posts 103 karma points
    Mar 25, 2020 @ 00:40
    Nicolas Erlijman

Hey guys,

Is there any update on this ? I am looking at the feature request at http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-10890 but seems to be readonly now.

Thanks!

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Apr 30, 2020 @ 06:11
    Søren Kottal

Hi Nicolas

DTGE is not going in Core.

In stead a new Block Based Editor is in the making. You can see the RFCs here: https://github.com/umbraco/rfcs/pull/12 https://github.com/umbraco/rfcs/pull/11

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft