Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sotiris Filippidis 286 posts 1501 karma points
    Jan 27, 2018 @ 13:08
    Sotiris Filippidis

Features in other CMSs that we would like Umbraco to include

What features / functionality / concepts have you seen in other CMS platforms that you (we) would like Umbraco to include? It could be as simple as an icon in the back-end or as complex as a new workflow engine.

I think there are plenty of features out there that can give us ideas in order to create packages and/or submit PRs. I could also create a Google Doc and list the ideas there for reference.

This thread is my own idea and is thus totally unofficial, but I think it could prove useful to both Umbraco HQ and the community.

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2018 @ 13:45
    Morten Bock

I think EPiServers concept of Blocks is pretty powerful. It is basically content that has no url, but places in a separate tree. You then put this content in containers on a page, and they render with their own controllers etc.

So it's sort of a mix between Nested Content and a content picker, where each block can be shared across multiple pages.

• Sotiris Filippidis 286 posts 1501 karma points
    Jan 27, 2018 @ 15:06
    Sotiris Filippidis

This is very interesting. I don't know if you are aware, but I've followed a similar (although not so sophisticated) approach with the UMazel Starter Kit (in fact, I followed part of uSkinned's approach on their themes).

Specifically, I'm using nodes without templates, grouped under a parent node and rendered on the first "page" ancestor level. I included a node reuse concept by adding a "Reusable Content" node and a picker to select things from it to use in other pages, using a special type of "placeholder" node.

(Disclaimer: I'm not advertising myself - not much, anyway :) - I just thought that my own site would be the best example since it's based on the UMazel Starter Kit and follows that approach. I've followed this approach on dozens of sites I've developed, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to show here).

Here you can see how this is depicted in the Umbraco back-end. The circled nodes are "content sections" grouped under "Page Elements" (a node that is automatically added under every page node via the AutoNode plugin) and they are all rendered as part of the "Umbraco Services" page. You can see the end result here.

enter image description here

For reusable content, there's this node that stores sections that can be reused. This means that if you change the node's data once here, they'll be changed everywhere it's used.

To include reusable content in a page, I've got a special "placeholder" node which features a picker to choose items from the "Reusable Nodes" folder:

All nodes are rendered via a "SectionRenderer" partial view that chooses the correct partial view for each section (based on conventions) and takes care of caching using keys so that it caches sections individually even when there are multiple sections of the same doctype on one single page.

A different tree would be a good idea. I think that my approach resembles what you described a bit - although it can take some improvements, of course.

Would it be a good idea to have the whole thing made reusable in some manner?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2018 @ 15:42
    Morten Bock

Yes, that would be sort of the current way to go about it. But I think that the separation of blocks from pages works really well.

I think it would especially make sense with the upcoming localization features that seem to be coming in V8. That way you could make a block that could be used across multiple languages/sites.

The concept of a "Set of blocks" is nice. I'm not sure if that actually exists in EPiServer. But I guess it would be sort of a "Block area configuration" or something. It would make it a bit harder to do stuff like validation of which kinds of blocks are allowed to go in an "Area".

If we take a page from the Sitecore playbook, they have the concept of a "Rendering", where you can basically insert a piece of content, with a configuration on top. So you could for example say: Add this "Newsletter signup" block here, but use a different theme or list or something.

• David Zweben 265 posts 749 karma points
    Feb 10, 2018 @ 14:57
    David Zweben

Could you point me towards any info on v8's localization features? I looked at the roadmap, but I didn't see anything about localization.

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Jan 29, 2018 @ 17:20
    Jason Prothero

I would love to have another section called "Data" or "Blocks" or "Components" or something that would be a place to have a tree of content that wasn't pages, but parts of pages.

Currently, we just put that in the Content Tree, but I think it would be nice to separate it for permissions and organization.

• pbl_dk 150 posts 551 karma points
    Feb 10, 2018 @ 19:27
    pbl_dk

With fear of sounding like a broken record. Totally in for what Jason is saying. Would be really awesome to somehow get the possibility to "divide" the nodes in the tree, something like:

Site

= > Contentpages

-- some kind of breakline --

WorkItems (maybe a kind of folder)

ie => FrontpageSliderImages

-- some kind of breakline --

System (only to be seen as developer)

ie=> Accountpage, Loginpage, Access Denied and so on.

• Martin Meixger 17 posts 75 karma points
    Feb 10, 2018 @ 09:09
    Martin Meixger

Live Preview within Backend using Frontend Navigation

Within the backend show the live site. Navigating from the live site should sync the content tree position.

CompositeC1, N2CMS and Sitefinity supports this. Please see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-oITVror5U

Tracked by http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-2264

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft