Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Remi Martel 32 posts 104 karma points
    Mar 08, 2018 @ 14:56
    Remi Martel

Why is there no image re uploader by default? New feature proposal for Umbraco

I recently noticed a very basic issue with Umbraco. My website is a commercial one and I needed to change a product's image that is used multiple places, but I couldn't find a way to change the image without having to go to each page where it is referenced and change it manually.

After a bit of research, I found a package that I think should be integrated by default in future releases of Umbraco. I found the MediaEditor by MrFlo that allows the desired users to replace an image with another one while keeping the references throughout the website.

I have to say congrats to MrFlo this package is an absolute life savior that prevent hours of development for a similar feature

• Michaël Vanbrabandt 863 posts 3348 karma points c-trib
    Mar 08, 2018 @ 15:03
    Michaël Vanbrabandt

Hi Remi,

if they all share the same Media object ( view Media section in the Umbraco backoffice ) then you could easily just change the image in the Media section.

Use following steps:

1. Go to the Media section
    2. Go to the media image node you want to edit
    3. In the dashboard of the image you can click Remove file(s) which will remove the image but hold the node of the image
    4. Upload a new image in the current node
    5. Hit save
    6. View the frontend pages with the new image ( maybe you have to clear the browsers cache )

Hope this helps!

/Michaël

• Remi Martel 32 posts 104 karma points
    Mar 08, 2018 @ 15:18
    Remi Martel

Thanks, Michael! I didn't know that, still, I think it is a bit counter-intuitive and not obvious, while MrFlo's package makes it way easier to use for the content managers of the company where I work. These people are not programmers and will come to the IT department if it takes too long to find a feature.

• Michaël Vanbrabandt 863 posts 3348 karma points c-trib
    Mar 08, 2018 @ 15:27
    Michaël Vanbrabandt

Hi Remi,

you don't have to be a programmer to change an image in the media section. It only takes a few steps like updating a content node and you don't have to use any packages to do this.

Hope this helps!

/Michaël

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Mar 08, 2018 @ 15:29
    Nik

Along with Michael's comment, if you don't click "remove files" (at least in 7.5.3, I assume the same is true in future versions.) I've found that if you are uploading an image of the same name it will override the existing image without changing the file path.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft