Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    May 11, 2018 @ 09:53
    Dan Diplo

Working with and Testing Changes to Source - Best Practices?

So, you've downloaded the Umbraco Source from GitHub, you've built it and you've made some changes (perhaps in readiness for a PR). What is the best way to test this build in an actual website environment?

Yes, there are Unit tests we can use. But if we want to run an actual website and test the full build, what is the best process? If you're, say, making changes to the UI or UX (be it Angular, CSS or just HTML) how do you view these changes?

Would you run build.bat and then install the NuGet packages into a new solution? I can imagine this would be quite time consuming every time you make a change in the source.

Just wondering what people do and how they test this? Maybe the Umbraco source should contain a default website for this purpose that can be run alongside the build (with a local SQL DB)?

Thoughts?

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    May 11, 2018 @ 12:23
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Dan,

I just runt the Web.UI project from visual studio (right click project > View in Browser). The first time this will take you throught the installer. But after that you have a site to test your changes

Then you can attach your debugger to the IIS express process to debug.

Dave

• Andy Butland 422 posts 2334 karma points MVP 4x hq c-trib
    May 11, 2018 @ 12:52
    Andy Butland

Yes, same here. I just treat the Umbraco application as my actual website - and create the doc types/templates etc. as needed to test out whatever bug fix or feature I'm looking at within it.

Would add that when it comes to amends to styling or JavaScript, there's a gulp task that I just run independently on the command line that will build the front-end and copy the files into the Web.UI project.

Andy

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    May 11, 2018 @ 13:27
    Dan Diplo

Ahh, thanks Dave and Andy - form some reason didn't realise the Web.UI would run (seems obvious now!).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft