Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hassan Kobeissi 10 posts 82 karma points
    Dec 13, 2018 @ 10:00
    Hassan Kobeissi

Backoffice data lost

Dear all,

I'm using Umbraco CMS with it's latest version. Suddenly, Umbraco backoffice crashes for while with a SQL server timeout error, knowing that other projects are working very well on the same server.

Then after it works, previous data I had already saved was all lost especially text content. Also, when trying to rollback previous saves, it shows only the first empty version without content.

Please advise.

Regards

• Frans de Jong 548 posts 1840 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Dec 13, 2018 @ 10:43
    Frans de Jong

Is there a more detailed error in the log file?

Dec 13, 2018 @ 11:14
    Hassan Kobeissi

Hi Frans 2018-12-13 10:30:17,114 [P41844/D2/T76] ERROR Umbraco.Core.Persistence.UmbracoDatabase - Exception (cf4b866a). System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TrySetMetaData(SqlMetaDataSet metaData, Boolean moreInfo) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryConsumeMetaData() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.getMetaData() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString, Boolean isInternal, Boolean forDescribeParameterEncryption, Boolean shouldCacheForAlwaysEncrypted) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) at StackExchange.Profiling.Data.ProfiledDbCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) in c:\Code\github\SamSaffron\MiniProfiler\StackExchange.Profiling\Data\ProfiledDbCommand.cs:line 235 at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader() at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.<>cDisplayClass5_0.0() at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.FaultHandling.RetryPolicy.ExecuteAction[TResult](Func1 func) at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteReaderWithRetry(IDbCommand command, RetryPolicy cmdRetryPolicy, RetryPolicy conRetryPolicy) at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteReaderWithRetry(IDbCommand command, RetryPolicy retryPolicy) at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteReaderWithRetry(IDbCommand command) at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.

• Ishan Vyas 67 posts 198 karma points
    Dec 13, 2018 @ 12:23
    Ishan Vyas

This has happened to me quite a few times earlier after saving and publishing it and opening the project the other day it surprisingly vanishes the back office data of some content nodes, and no relevant info is provided in the logs through which we can rectify it. But its not the case now a days and thank god its not again happening since then. I had requested for the same issue quite a few times in forum but not much help found in this topic. You are the 3 one to report same issue after mine, so its not a coincidence or an human error i guess.

• Frans de Jong 548 posts 1840 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Dec 13, 2018 @ 12:35
    Frans de Jong

Do you have any custom propertytypes on the documenttype? Or are you using a package in this documenttype?

Dec 13, 2018 @ 12:55
    Hassan Kobeissi

no, I don't have custom controls or property types, I'm only using the default properties submitted by the cms.

Dec 13, 2018 @ 12:54
    Hassan Kobeissi

Hi Ishan glad to hear from you, I thought it was a random error for the first view, but it is recursing from time to other.

• Ishan Vyas 67 posts 198 karma points
    Dec 13, 2018 @ 13:02
    Ishan Vyas

yup for instance i also thought that it might be mine mistake or i might have forgot to publish but i cross checked it many times and also made other team member to sit next to me and make him see that i published all content and the next morning it was not there, they also firstly presumed that it was my mistake but then they realized the same.

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Dec 13, 2018 @ 13:17
    Marcio Goularte

seems to be hosting problem rather than something related to Umbraco. I've had this with shared hosting that had 1 server for multiple clients. As you said, other projects work well with this server.

I already had this problem, but it was with the SQLCE, which works in memory and when there was recycle and lost data.

You need to see if this behavior happens in another environment, your local environment for example.

When it happens to lose data, already in the section developer and make a reindex to see if they return.

I believe you will need to better examine logs and validate communication with the server if you are not suffering from oscillations.

Dec 13, 2018 @ 13:43
    Hassan Kobeissi

Hi Marcio

It happens first during development on a local server. after a few days, a client for different product contacts me telling me that loss of data happens on his backoffice(his website is on another online server).

• Craig Mayers 164 posts 508 karma points
    Dec 13, 2018 @ 13:43
    Craig Mayers

Good point made by Marcio!

Have you tried replicating the issue locally on your development machine to see if the same issue occurs? Or moving it to a different server just to rule it out.

Also, worth checking that someone else isn't working on the same project/DB as you and maybe change stuff too.

Regards

Craig

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft