Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Jan 28, 2019 @ 17:11
    Chris Houston

Remove all the TODO / FIXME comments from the distributed versions of Umbraco.

When you are working with a site built around Umbraco and you try and use the Visual Studio Task list, it is full of code comments from the Umbraco source. I think these should be automatically removed as part of the build process of Umbraco for two reasons:

Some of these comments are not very well written which does not give a good impression of the Umbraco developers ( both HQ & community ) e.g.

TODO: Wtf does this do? I don't think anything!

Also if a website developer wants to use the Task List for their own development, it's filled with all these comments from the Umbraco product which makes it more difficult to use.

If the consensus is this is a good idea, I will create a GitHub issue.

What do you think?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 28, 2019 @ 17:20
    Nik

I do believe that if you are installing a nuget package, e.g. Umbraco, into a project there are very few occasions where it should automatically put entries in your todo list.

The occasions where it could be valid is if you had to perform some sort of code based configuration to wire things up.

Essentially, yes I think the build task should remove them from the distribution :-)

Jan 28, 2019 @ 17:33
    Chris Houston

Hi Nik,

Yes that was my thought as well.

Currently the JS files in a 7.13.0 solution have:

• 4 FIXME
    • 16 HACK
    • 120+ TODO

These are obviously all in the JS files as the C# files are all already compiled, these numbers have no doubt changed for v8, however I think if it could be added to v7 and propagated up to v8 it would be an improvement for both.

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jan 28, 2019 @ 18:03
    Matthew Wise

We don't include the umbraco and umbraco_client folders in the solution so I have never seen the issue.

But anything that is a barrier to development should be looked at. Shouldn't be a difficult fix it's already copied via gulp.

Matt

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 28, 2019 @ 19:07
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Like Matthew said, as long as you don't include the umbraco / umbraco_client folders in the solution then you won't see these in the task list.

This is also the default NuGet install and how we intended this to work. There's therefore no need to fix this for people who deviate from the defaults. 😊

Jan 28, 2019 @ 19:34
    Chris Houston

Well, in that case I'd have thought comments like "WTF" and "dangerously hacky" should be re-worded and avoided in the future, it just doesn't look professional or instill confidence in your end users.

I am not sure I agree with the fact that because this is not the default configuration that these comments should still be in your distributed source code, but I guess that's an HQ decision if you don't want them removed.

FYI, in the entire solution there are 600+ TODO comments, I do have a plan to help reduce this.... watch this space ;)

Jan 28, 2019 @ 19:50
    Chris Houston

Also, if you are using Umbraco Cloud and follow the official setup guide: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Umbraco-Cloud/Set-Up/Working-With-Visual-Studio/

Your website is a folder and doesn't have a proj file, so by default everything is accessible to Visual Studio, I'm not even sure if it's possible to block the files when used in this way?

I am guessing this is the reason I am seeing it and more people will be seeing this in the future if they use Umbraco Cloud with Visual Studio.

Jan 28, 2019 @ 19:51
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I'm fine with censoring the 3 files in question, if that makes people happy! 😊

enter image description here

I'm also happy to know that we're all extremely human here while developing our software, "dangerously hacky" is coming from the Codemirror dependency which we bundle with Umbraco.

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jan 28, 2019 @ 19:25
    Matthew Wise

Let go one better than removing the comments fix the issues :D

Jan 28, 2019 @ 19:32
    Sebastiaan Janssen

120+ to go! ;-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft