Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gianluca 56 posts 79 karma points
    Jun 24, 2010 @ 16:50
    Gianluca

Create Package throws an exception in Umbraco 4.5

Hi, 

In Umbraco 4.5, when I try to create a package I get the following exception:

The create dialog for "packager" does not match anything defined in the "~/umbraco/config/create/UI.xml". This could mean an incorrectly installed package or a corrupt UI file

Server Error in '/' Application.

The create dialog for "packager" does not match anything defined in the "~/umbraco/config/create/UI.xml". This could mean an incorrectly installed package or a corrupt UI file

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: The create dialog for "packager" does not match anything defined in the "~/umbraco/config/create/UI.xml". This could mean an incorrectly installed package or a corrupt UI file

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[ArgumentException: The create dialog for "packager" does not match anything defined in the "~/umbraco/config/create/UI.xml". This could mean an incorrectly installed package or a corrupt UI file]
       umbraco.cms.presentation.Create.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +552
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +49
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

My box is a Win Vista 32bit. My db is a mysql.

I also checked UI.xml and I've found this:

<nodeType alias="initpackager">
        <header>Package</header>
        <usercontrol>/create/simple.ascx</usercontrol>
        <tasks>
          <create assembly="umbraco" type="CreatedPackageTasks" />
        </tasks>
      </nodeType>
      <nodeType alias="createdPackages">
        <header>Package</header>
        <tasks>
        </tasks>
      </nodeType>
      <nodeType alias="createdPackageInstance">
        <header>Package</header>
        <tasks>
          <delete assembly="umbraco" type="CreatedPackageTasks" />
        </tasks>
      </nodeType>

and in /umbraco/create I confirm that simple.ascx is present.

Cheers,

Gianluca.

Jun 25, 2010 @ 00:05
    Gianluca

...also, I'd like to add that I have just tried to click "create package" from the "created packaged" node (and not directly from "packages"), and I get this other exception:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Root element is missing.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[XmlException: Root element is missing.]
       System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) +73
       System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() +4076618
       System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() +145
       System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace) +114
       System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader) +114
       System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename) +128
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.data.Reload(String dataSource) +436
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.data.GetFromId(Int32 Id, String dataSource, Boolean reload) +67
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.data.Package(Int32 id, String datasource) +45
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.CreatedPackage.GetById(Int32 id) +103
       umbraco.presentation.developer.packages._Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +321
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +49
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:

Is anyone else experience this kind of problem with Umbraco 4.5 Packager?

Cheers,

Gianluca.

Jun 25, 2010 @ 10:28
    Gianluca

Hi folks!

Ok, I have some additional info for you.

Apparently the Create Package function from the context menu of the Created packaged node works. In my case (details in the 2nd post in this thread), it was initially not working because the createdPackages.config was completely empty, even without the <packages></packages> tags. Thus, Umbraco was giving the Root element is missing exception. I have simply created the two tags and it started to work.

However, I can confirm that the Create Package function doesnt work if it is executed from the "Packages" node context menu. In order to verify this, I have even created a completely clean installation (fresh code from the 4.5 binary release zip and clean/empty DB). The exception that is raised is the one quoted in my first post in this thread.

Out of curiosity, how to report bugs in these cases? Is it better to post here or in the Codeplex forum?

Cheers,

Gianluca

• Christian Palm 277 posts 272 karma points
    Jul 01, 2010 @ 14:34
    Christian Palm

I can also confirm the bug.

Following Gianluca advice on pasting the following xml into the /App_Data/packages/created/createdPackages.config resolves the issue and I can create packages

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <packages></packages>
  • dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jul 01, 2010 @ 15:00
    dandrayne

Best to report on codeplex.  Could you also vote up these two 4.5 packager issues?  http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/27929 and http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/27864

Dan

Jul 01, 2010 @ 19:40
    Gianluca

@Dan: done ;) And by the way, the issue that prevents the creation of Content nodes using the packaging tool is a bad one for me too!

Also, can you vote for this too? http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/27894 (kind of a replica of yours, but found in umbraco 45)

Cheers,

Gianluca.

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jul 02, 2010 @ 10:22
    dandrayne

Voted!

My mistake - when I mention 4.1 on my workitem I mean 4.5

Dan

• Kurniawan Kurniawan 202 posts 225 karma points
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 04:16
    Kurniawan Kurniawan

So anyone knows anything how to create package ?

or any good plugins ?

Thanks

• Peter Holmsgaard 69 posts 106 karma points
    Aug 27, 2010 @ 09:23
    Peter Holmsgaard

Aug 27, 2010 @ 09:40
    Peter Holmsgaard

Hey,

I've stumbled upon the same problem as the above. First I followed Gianluca's initial bugfix by editing the createdPackage.config - and I allmost got it working. I checked the files and nodes needed for the package and saved, no problem. When I try to publish i get a "Save failed, check your umbraco log". This is from the log:

CreatedPackage.cs System.ArgumentException: No Document exists with Version '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'     at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document.setupNode()     at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.CMSNode..ctor(Int32 Id)     at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Content..ctor(Int32 id)     at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document..ctor(Int32 id)     at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.CreatedPackage.Publish()

Anyone know what to do?

/Peter

Aug 27, 2010 @ 09:46
    Peter Holmsgaard

Ahh.. The error occurs because i tried to pick the top content node as "Content" in the package.

When not doing that - it works..

/Peter

• Kurniawan Kurniawan 202 posts 225 karma points
    Aug 27, 2010 @ 09:51
    Kurniawan Kurniawan

have you try this.. it works for me...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <packages></packages>

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 23, 2010 @ 19:11
    Chris Houston

Hi,

We had the same problem and we think the reason was that we upgraded our site from 4.5.1 to 4.5.2 but we had not updated the UI.XML file in our Visual Studio solution. When we did a DIFF between the file on our server and the file in a clean 4.5.2 installation the following lines were missing:

<header>Package</header>
    <tasks>
    </tasks>
    </nodeType>
    <nodeType alias="packager">

I hope this helps someone!

Cheers,

Chris

• Peter Nielsen 159 posts 257 karma points
    Aug 11, 2011 @ 11:01
    Peter Nielsen

Hi,

I had the same problem and found out that I could choose the root node in the content section when creating a package. So if I choose when "real" node I dont get an error.

Just thought I would share :-)

/Peter

• Bo Kingo Damgaard 157 posts 456 karma points
    Aug 24, 2012 @ 14:17
    Bo Kingo Damgaard

The xml snippit from Kurniawan is missing from 4.8.1 NuGet package to

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft