Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew L 44 posts 44 karma points
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 08:42
    Andrew L

/index.aspx is return a 404

I am having a problem that is only occurring on our production server.

If you go to /index.aspx, a 404 is returned.

Our setup is as follows:

* The root node (i.e. our homepage) is called Index.

* In the Properties section of the page, umbraco says the 'Link to document' is /index.aspx. The 'Alternative Links' is listed as 'http://www.mydomain.com/'. This is all correct.

* The web.config does not list /index.aspx as a reserved folder or page.

* The Default Documents section of IIS is setup with the out-of-the-box values which includes default.aspx but not index.aspx. This is the same as our development server, on which /index.aspx works correctly. I have tried adding index.aspx but it doesn't help.

* I think this problem started after upgrading to .NET 4 and upgrading to umbraco 4.5.

Is there anything that Umbraco does specifically with index.aspx which could be causing this problem?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 09:11
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Andrew,

Have you tried republishing all the content since the upgrade to v4.5?

You could also try setting "useDomainPrefixes" (in "config\umbracoSettings.config") to true - see if that makes a difference.  It does mean that the primary link wont be "/index.aspx" but the domain/hostname itself.

Cheers, Lee.

Jul 19, 2010 @ 09:31
    Andrew L

Hi Lee,

I've tried republishing just the homepage but it doesn't help (I get a timeout if I try and publish the entire tree). What would I be trying to achieve by doing this, by the way?

I already have useDomainPrefixes set to true in umbracoSettings.config.

Jul 19, 2010 @ 09:41
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Andrew,

If you already had "useDomainPrefixes" enabled, it shouldn't have shown the "Link to document" url to be "/index.aspx" - it would usually show the domain name.

The timeout is worrying! How many content nodes do you have - a few, hundreds or thousands?

Any other extensions/packages installed - they might not be compatible with v4.5 and throwing an internal error?

Take a look in the "umbracoLog" database table, see if there's anything suspect in there - quick SQL for you to copy-n-paste...

SELECT * FROM umbracoLog WHERE logComment != '' ORDER BY Datestamp DESC

Is the Umbraco back-office UI working fine? Have you noticed any bugs/glitches in there?

Cheers, Lee.

Jul 19, 2010 @ 10:06
    Andrew L

Hi Lee,

If you already had "useDomainPrefixes" enabled, it shouldn't have shown 
    the "Link to document" url to be "/index.aspx" - it would usually show 
    the domain name.

Mine seems to be showing both... the 'Link to document' is '/index.aspx' and the 'Alternative Links' is 'http://www.mydomain.com' (without the index.aspx part). I double checked useDomainPrefixes is enabled - it definitely is. I also have my domain setup in the 'Manage Hostnames' dialog.

The timeout is worrying! How many content nodes do you have - a few, 
    hundreds or thousands?

I have 1216 rows in cmsContentXml... probably having about 900 of them published...

Take a look in the "umbracoLog" database table...
    Is the Umbracoback-office UI working fine? Have you noticed any bugs/glitches in there?

Haven't noticed anything... just this problem...

Jul 19, 2010 @ 10:08
    Andrew L

Hi Lee,

If you already had "useDomainPrefixes" enabled, it shouldn't have shown 
    the "Link to document" url to be "/index.aspx" - it would usually show
    the domain name.

Mine seems to be showing both... the 'Link to document' is '/index.aspx' and the 'Alternative Links' is 'http://www.mydomain.com' (without the index.aspx part). I double checked useDomainPrefixes is enabled - it definitely is. I also have my domain setup in the 'Manage Hostnames' dialog.

The timeout is worrying! How many content nodes do you have - a few, 
    hundreds or thousands?

I have 1216 rows in cmsContentXml... probably having about 900 of them published...

Take a look in the "umbracoLog" database table...
    Is the Umbracoback-office UI working fine? Have you noticed any
    bugs/glitches in there?

Haven't noticed anything... just this problem...

Jul 19, 2010 @ 10:13
    Lee Kelleher

Is it only the homepage (index) that is showing the 404? Which type of 404 is it? Can you tell if its coming from Umbraco or IIS?

... starting to run out of suggestions now! :-(

Jul 19, 2010 @ 10:17
    Lee Kelleher

Andrew, just looking over your other forum posts - mostly for more clues on your set-up.

Is this the Umbraco install with the remote database?

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/3437-Umbraco-runs-too-slowly-when-using-remote-database

Cheers, Lee.

Jul 19, 2010 @ 11:30
    Andrew L

Hi Lee,

Thanks for all your help so far.

It's just the homepage that is showing a 404, and only if you specifically go to /index.aspx - not if you go to the root. I think the 404 is coming from Umbraco.

This is a different install to the thread you found - the database is local.

Interestingly, I noticed that my /data/umbraco.config file isn't getting updated anymore. Is this still used in 4.5? I'm pretty sure I have my permissions setup correctly...

Jul 19, 2010 @ 11:32
    Andrew L

I should just clarify my last comment - I tried deleting the /data/umbraco.config file, then restarting the website. The umbraco.config didn't get recreated and the 404 problem persists.

Jul 19, 2010 @ 11:33
    Lee Kelleher

The XML cache has been moved in v4.5 (at least for fresh installs) to "~/App_Data/umbraco.config".  But it is a Web.config setting, just check what the value of the "umbracoContentXML" appSetting key is.   As you say, it might be a permissions issue?

• Frank van Rooijen 7 posts 27 karma points
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 13:04
    Frank van Rooijen

I am setting up a umbraco 4.5 and it looks like I have the same kind of issues. In my case it looks like the useDomainPrefixes only works correctly when you place the sites directly under the root. When I add an extra level between the site and the root I got 404 pages. The alternative links on the property tab shows the desired links.

this works:
    - root
      - www.domain.com
        - page1

this doesn't work:
    - root
      - some structure
        - www.domain.com

Can this be the case for you as well?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft