Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hendrik Jan 71 posts 137 karma points
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 13:07
    Hendrik Jan

Tracking member behaviour?

Hey Guys!

I have a client who wants to track indivual member behaviour. So they can look at the user behaviours and wich parts of the website he/she looks at.

I seached arround a bit and google analytics doesn't support that. I didn't find anything else either.

Do you know any good scripts or websites that i can use??

-Niels

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 13:30
    Ismail Mayat

Niels,

You used to be able todo it umbraco stats that used to work with v3 and is no longer available or supported, the data was stored in umbracoStatEntry and umbracoStatSession you used to be able to turn stats on or off by changing flag in web.config namely setting umbracoEnableStat think that setting is now redundant as I have turned it on for a site on my laptop and the tables are blank. Though there was talk of releasing the source code for it.  

Your best bet would be to write some kind of logger yourself though you would then need to write your own reporting tools.  I did something along those lines ages ago.  The tables for recording stats are already there if you take a look at code in global.asax.dll see this post for the code that is already there http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/4752-Extending-Globalasax also take a look at this post for wiring into startup events http://blog.mattbrailsford.com/2010/07/11/registering-an-application-start-event-handler-in-umbraco/

Regards

Ismail

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 13:56
    Rich Green

Similar question here http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/9901-Track-members-show-statistics 

Might want to see if this can be done with Google analytics custom variables?

Rich

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 14:24
    Ismail Mayat

Rich,

You could do it but it would break terms and conditions of google analytics.

Regards

Isamil

Jul 19, 2010 @ 14:38
    Hendrik Jan

Hey Ismail, Rich,

Thank you for the reply's!!

For now i'm looking for a simple solution. I dont have the budget to put to much time and
    effort in it. So i hoped on something like Google Analytics could help me out. But i don't
    want to break their TOS ofcourse.

So i'm still looking in alternatives.

Do I also break the Analytics TOS if I warn the members and make them agree when they login?

-Niels

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 14:45
    dandrayne

Hi Niels

With google analytics, tracking any personally identifiable information is in breach of their TOS  - there is no mention of being allowed even if the members give consent.

Dan

Jul 19, 2010 @ 14:47
    Hendrik Jan

Hey Dan, 

Thanks for your fast answer!!

-Niels

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft