Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John Nicholas 8 posts 28 karma points
    Aug 15, 2010 @ 17:04
    John Nicholas

deselecting custom styles in RTE

I've setup a few custom styles in the RTE but I don't see how a user can deselect a style. For example, one of my styles is called insetquote, basically intended to call attention to a quoted paragraph by increasing the margins and changing the text color. Selecting a paragraph and applying the style works correctly. If the user realizes that oops, they happened to select the wrong thing, there seems to be no way to drop the style. 

In a related note I do wish styles could be specified to be applied to the paragraph or a selection (a feature I had in another CMS) I've had a few times where I ended up with <p><span class="styleMeantForParagraph">my text</span></p>. Combined with the difficulty in unstyling above it makes it difficult to edit. I would imagine an editor who doesn't actually know html would have a really hard time understanding what was happening.

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Aug 15, 2010 @ 18:00
    Sascha Wolter

Hi John,

have pretty much the same issues which sometimes drive my clients crazy. My workaround for the first issue is that I have an additional style, e.g. text, which pretty much works as if no style has been selected. Obviously not the same thing but works alright, the user doesn't have to do a click more but might wonder why some of his paragraphs are marked 'text', some haven't got a style and both look the same.

My workaround for the second problem: what works best for me to select a paragraph is to start at the last character and move the mouse to the first one. Works at least 99% for me. Triple-clicking has a lower success rate. But totally agree: that's far from ideal.

Would be very interested to hear what others have found out with regard to this.

Sascha

• jc 64 posts 101 karma points
    Aug 15, 2010 @ 20:04
    jc

These work in 4.0.4.1

If a user has made a mistake, there should be an undo button in the RTE toolbar. If you want to remove a class that was added, you click to place the insertion point on the element/word/paragraph and then select "Styles" from the dropdown menu.

If you're applying a style to a word inside a paragraph, it should wrap that word with a span and leave the paragraph alone (unless you have the entire contents of the paragraph selected and then it gets applied to the <p>.)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft