Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Greg Vincent 10 posts 30 karma points
    Aug 20, 2010 @ 16:46
    Greg Vincent

Maximum number of content nodes for Umbraco 4.5

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know what the maximum number of content nodes is for Umbraco 4.5?  

Thanks

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Aug 21, 2010 @ 02:27
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Greg,

there is no maximum number of content nodes for Umbraco 4.5, I'm pretty sure that a reasonably well build site with 100,000 nodes will work completely fine. Yet the performance will probably depend a bit on how you strucure things, so having e.g. 5k nodes under one parent node might slow certain things (e.g. looping through children in .Net or Xslt) a bit down.

Cheers,
    Sascha

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Aug 21, 2010 @ 08:30
    Aaron Powell

You're really only limited by your SQL server, If you're having hundreds of thousands of nodes you'll want to be smart about how you're doing your structure. When you expand a node in the content tree it will get all children of it, so if you've got a lot it will be slow.

Aug 23, 2010 @ 14:45
    Greg Vincent

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.  My client is planning on hosting 40 - 50 sites in the same Umbraco instances.  My plan was to create each new site off the root content folder and apply a host name to each folder.  I don’t expect that any of the sites will have more than a few hundred content nodes.  The sites will be load balanced on two virtual web servers with a clustered SQL backend.  From your replies I think that this setup will provide adequate page response time.

Thanks

Aug 24, 2010 @ 00:40
    Aaron Powell

No offence but I think that's a terrible idea, trying to run that many sites from the one Umbraco instance.

Why don't you just create different Umbraco instances, or at least smaller Umbraco instances?

Aug 24, 2010 @ 16:38
    Greg Vincent

Hi Slace.  It probably is not the best idea, so I will be pushing the client to set up multiple instances.  They are trying to save move through doc type and template reuse and also feel that sharing data across sites will be easier if all sites are contained in one Umbraco instance.  I will be trying to dissuade them against using a single Umbraco instance for all sites.  However, I wanted to know what the Umbraco limitations are in case they are unwilling to use multiple Umbraco instances.

Thanks

• John 88 posts 112 karma points
    Nov 18, 2010 @ 00:38
    John

We have a similar situation. There are roughly 10 sites all with at least a couple of thousand pieces of content each and anywhere between 20,000 and 50,000 members each. Ordinarily I'd suggest a seperate Umbraco instance but there is a requirement for both content sharing and member sharing across sites (templates, data types, functionality, etc will all be similar). I understand the performance issues that could arise with having thousands of children under a parent node but if the structure is organised to address that particular issue would there be any performance degredation?

Nov 18, 2010 @ 11:28
    Aaron Powell

The more nodes you add the more memory that is required by the server, keep in mind that all Umbraco published content is stored in memory, as well as the file system, so if you've got a 100mb XML cache file you'll need a bit over 100mb memory just to store it.

Nov 18, 2010 @ 22:55
    John

That's fine, the boxes can be spec'd up - I'm more concerned about the load on the CPU iterating through the XML file with so many nodes. The sites will all be running on the same server anyway, the only question is whether it's on the same Umbraco instance.

I guess the only other alternative is to write a seperate system that copies the neccesary content / members (or references the content / members) from all the sites (each under an individual Umbraco instance) into custom tables.

• Sean 10 posts 30 karma points
    Jan 08, 2013 @ 16:25
    Sean

I know this is a bit of an old post, but I would like to add that, in my opinion, mulitple sites on an umbraco instance is a bad idea. We used to do that at my workplace and it led to a lot of headaches. Unless you absolutely have to, I suggest not to have multiple sites on a single umbraco instance.

• Obiwan 33 posts 67 karma points
    Jul 19, 2013 @ 19:24
    Obiwan

Just wanted to add some real world experience on this question.

We are currently running +800 sites and +20.000 content nodes in a single Umbraco install, it did require us to make some modifications to the Umbraco core, but these changes are mostly improvements to loading data from DB and similar in the back-office, the frontend(s) are running fine.

So yes it is possible to do, but you need to know what you are doing. I have sent most of the updates I did to Umbraco to the core team, but not all of them have been implemented, so I dont think the current release version will handle that amount of sites and nodes. 

In our case it's simply not practical possible to maintain +800 sites (DB's, IIS) and syncing doc-types, macros, templates, etc. on that many Umbraco installs.

Jul 20, 2013 @ 13:14
    John

Hey Obiwan, I know you said you sent your updates to the Umbraco Core team but do you have them handy? Would love to see what they were

• Obiwan 33 posts 67 karma points
    Jul 21, 2013 @ 08:41
    Obiwan

Hi john

Please check out my blog http://allan-laustsen.blogspot.dk/?m=1 I have not published all my tweaks, as some of these changes also will be a hugh benefit to our main competition :-( and we spent a lot of resources developing these changes.

I have tried to reach to the umbraco core team,  so that the knowledge and experience our company is facing can help improve Umbraco, so far with out much success. Only a handfull of the patches has been appended to the core.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft