Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• AlexR 39 posts 61 karma points
    Aug 24, 2010 @ 12:24
    AlexR

Page preview without login

I need to show new page version to my boss for approve.

But when I send to him preview link like http://example.com/1098.aspx?umbVersion=675c2bbd-55be-42a1-8f77-878d2d0e7ede the umbraco return application error.

How to send page preview to my boss without login?

Aug 24, 2010 @ 12:34
    AlexR

I need to show new page version to my boss for approve.

But when I send to him preview link like http://example.com/1098.aspx?umbVersion=675c2bbd-55be-42a1-8f77-878d2d0e7ede the umbraco return application error.

How to send page preview to my boss without login?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Aug 24, 2010 @ 13:41
    Aaron Powell

I'm pretty confident you can't run preview without logging in.

You can just create your boss an account with all but view permissions revoked.

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Aug 24, 2010 @ 15:46
    bob baty-barr

what about 'save' vs. save and publish?

if you save the page, can you send someone to it without it being published? isn't that the purpose of save?

let me know.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Aug 24, 2010 @ 15:59
    Aaron Powell

You can only view unpublished content via the preview feature as far as I know (unless you write your own custom API's)

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Aug 24, 2010 @ 16:04
    bob baty-barr

as a tip, here is what i often do... with all my navigation xslt files i take advantage of the umbracoNaviHide property... i will publish a node, and HIDE it via umbracoNaviHide checkbox on the node, then send the published link for content approval and bypass the need to login.

you could even take this to the next level and use a robots.txt in conjunction with the wonderful robots.txt editing package to carefully make sure this published, but not naviable page is not indexed before you want it to be :)

hope you find this tip a useable workaround for your situation.

Aug 25, 2010 @ 05:05
    AlexR

I can't use umbracoNaviHide property because I edit pages also. For edited pages I need to show old page version and new page version to compare them and approve. I can not publish them before approve. I can only save them.

We have only 3 men who edit site content and many peoples from many departments who can approve, send additional information, send suggestions and so no.

It is very difficult to login before preview for all men.

Why umbraco don't show preview for anonymous user, what wrong with it?
    Can I configure umbraco to show preview for anonymous user?
    Or can I add permission to anonymous user to view preview?

• David Conlisk 432 posts 1008 karma points
    Dec 03, 2012 @ 10:57
    David Conlisk

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if this is still the case, i.e. you can't view unpublished content without logging into Umbraco?

I have a client who is requesting the ability to send unpublished changes to non-Umbraco users for approval. I like Bob's idea, but it doesn't work for editing existing pages which still need to exist for site users. Does anyone have any other bright ideas on how this could be achieved?

Thanks,

David

• Lee Lovell 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jul 20, 2014 @ 16:07
    Lee Lovell

In case anyone else stumbles over this post. I got around part of this by allowing my doc type in two parent nodes. The first save and publish saved to the preview url / parent and when accepted I created a "real" publish button performing a move to the other live parent node.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft