Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dekker 13 posts 33 karma points
    Sep 27, 2010 @ 16:52
    Dekker

Building Umbraco 4.5.2 with ASP.Net 4.0 - How to?

OK, I have done some searching in the WIKI and forums, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for...

Basically, I want to build the core Umbraco 4.5.2 with ASP.Net 4.0 support, but the version that is in CodePlex seems tailored for 3.5.

I downloaded changeset 76545 which is the changeset that 4.5.2 was built on.

I loaded it up on VS, and used the auto-convert to .net 4.0. First issue is the other individual projects were not changed. So I manually opened the properties for each project and converted it to 4.0. Resolved some missing/changed references. But still get build errors.

There are even missing references to umbraco.businesslogic, etc, things that I thought would not happen if the changeset was error free... Am I doing something wrong?

Before I make more-and-more modifications to the projects, is there a version in the repository that is set to v4.0? It would simplify things greatly...

Dekker

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 27, 2010 @ 17:50
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Why would you want to build it yourself? You just download the .net 4 version right from Codeplex, I believe it's the default download.

Other than that, check out the nant build script to do a good build of the project.

Sep 27, 2010 @ 18:39
    Dekker

Sebastiaan, 

Aside from it being an open-source project, implying that the community can contribute to the core...

Actually, I am looking to build it with the debug libraries, so I can follow code back into the core Umbraco libraries. It also lets me create my own backoffice app with full suport of the IDE, such as using "Go to Definition" on a core method giving me the full documentation around the routine being called, and other such niceties.

The version that is for download is the compiled version. 

It would be nice if on Codeplex, they would give an SVN revision or a zip for the source matching the releases they give.

Dekker

Sep 27, 2010 @ 21:44
    Dekker

As an update, I've gotten closer, but not there yet... Got Nant (0.91 for Net4 support) and Sandcastle installed, but the "default.build" script is horribly out of date... It is targetting 4.0.3... Problem now is getting the default.build compatible with Nant 0.91 and Net 4...

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Sep 28, 2010 @ 00:10
    Aaron Powell

As we support both the .NET 3.5 and 4.0 the project is staying as a .NET 3.5 set of projects.

There's no CLR 4 features which we're using.

I'm not sure if the build script which is used by Umbraco build server is committed to codeplex, it's not really needed to be there IMO. And i'm not in charge of the build server either.

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Nov 10, 2010 @ 12:08
    Stephen

Building from codeplex can be quite a pain.

The Core team must know some dark magic tricks that we mere mortals don't ;-) 

We do not rely on Nant. We have created our own build.proj MSBuild project. It sort of works but is painful to maintain.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 10, 2010 @ 12:13
    Aaron Powell

We don't use Nant for anything but the build server.

Latest source is in $/branches/4.1 and you just need to open the sln file which compiles just fine in vs2010

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Nov 10, 2010 @ 12:42
    Stephen

Getting the source from codeplex and building with vs2010 is indeed quite easy.

Trying to re-create zips matching the official distribution (so we can deploy them...) and including some of our patches, can become somewhat painful... but maybe that's the price to pay for wanting to run a customized 4.6 __today__...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft