Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pickels 75 posts 108 karma points
    Oct 30, 2010 @ 23:21
    Pickels

Client Dependency: Put Javascript files at the bottom of the HTML.

Hello,

How do I get CD to put Javascript files at the bottom of the HTML. I read about different providers but didn't find a lot of documentation on the subject. 

If anybody can push me in the right direction I would appreciate that.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 31, 2010 @ 00:01
    Aaron Powell

You should use the LoaderControlProvider http://clientdependency.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Configuration&referringTitle=Documentation

This allows you to put the provider where ever you want on the page and it'll put the JavaScript there.

You could alternatively use the LazyLoaderProvider, but that can be a bit of an overkill :P

Oct 31, 2010 @ 00:04
    Pickels

Thanks for the reply. But if I understand correctly you can only have one ClientDependencyLoader? Wouldn't that mean my css gets rendered at the bottom also?

Oct 31, 2010 @ 00:19
    Aaron Powell

I think you have to do a force provider if you want to have multiple providers on a page: http://clientdependency.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=ForcedProviders&referringTitle=Documentation

Oct 31, 2010 @ 00:28
    Pickels

Okay, one step closer.

The PageHeaderProvider needs runat='server' on the header tag which is throwing me some new errors. Going to dig around and see if I can fix that.

Thanks a lot Slace.

Oct 31, 2010 @ 00:30
    Aaron Powell

Actually you can only have 1 loader per page, which you can place anywhere.

For what you'd want I'd put the loader in the footer but change the ClientDependency.config file so that the default provider is the PageHeadProvider. This will put stuff into the head of the page unless you force the provider to be the LoaderProvider for JavaScript.

This will mean that the CSS (or anything you leave to default) will go into the header of the page, and your JS will appear at the bottom of the page.

Oct 31, 2010 @ 00:51
    Pickels

Think it still maybe needs runat='server' on the header tag though.

This is my HTML:

<html>
        <head>
            <link href="favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon" />
            <cd:CssInclude runat="server" FilePath='~/css/site.css' />
        </head>
        <body>
            <script type="text/javascript" src='http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js'></script>
            <cd:JsInclude runat="server" FilePath='~/scripts/nww.js' ForceProvider='LoaderControlProvider' />
            <umb:UmbracoClientDependencyLoader runat="server" ID="ClientLoader" /> 
        </body>
    </html>

The config file looks like this:

<fileRegistration defaultProvider="PageHeaderProvider" fileDependencyExtensions=".js,.css">
        <providers>
        </providers>
      </fileRegistration>

But the output is this:

<html>
        <head>

</head>
        <body>
            <script type="text/javascript" src='http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js'></script>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/css/site.css?cdv=1" /><script type="text/javascript" src="/scripts/nww.js?cdv=1"></script> 
        </body>
    </html>

So it seems that it's still rendering the stylesheet at the bottom.

Oct 31, 2010 @ 00:56
    Aaron Powell

Yes you'll need a runat="server" on the head tag if you want to use the PageHeadProvider

Oct 31, 2010 @ 14:31
    Pickels

Went to bed last night so did some tests today. Seems adding runat='server' to the header tag didn't work. It just renders the stylesheets where the CDLoader is placed even with changing the default provider.

Oct 31, 2010 @ 14:37
    Pickels

Adding ForceProvider='PageHeaderProvider' to the stylesheets and adding runat='server' to the header tag seems to work. Changed the configuration back to defaults and everything works.

So this is how my main master page looks like:

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/umbraco/masterpages/default.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="cd" Namespace="ClientDependency.Core.Controls" Assembly="ClientDependency.Core" %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="umb" Namespace="umbraco.uicontrols" Assembly="controls" %>

<asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server">
     <!DOCTYPE html>

<html>
        <head runat="server">
            <cd:CssInclude runat="server" FilePath='~/css/site.css' ForceProvider='PageHeaderProvider' />
        </head>
        <body>

<cd:JsInclude runat="server" FilePath='~/scripts/nww.js' />
            <umb:UmbracoClientDependencyLoader runat="server" ID="ClientLoader" /> 
        </body>
    </html>
    </asp:Content>
  • Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Mar 27, 2012 @ 15:03
    Simon Dingley

Do you not find that this method, although it enables you to put CSS in the head and JS in the foot of your page, it also outputs the CSS link in the footer with the JS link and so it therefore duplicated?

• Robert Valcourt 70 posts 103 karma points
    Feb 03, 2016 @ 20:28
    Robert Valcourt

The above methods seem to work well. One issue I found in U6 is that when you add a runat="server" to the <head> tag, en empty <title> tag is generated. Can this be eliminated?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft