Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graham 21 posts 51 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 15:06
    Graham

Licensing costs

Hi I'm looking at building a fairly large mutilingual site using Umbraco, and the potential client has asked about licencing costs for Umbraco.

My initial response was not to worry - MIT licence means we don't have to pay a penny.

But then it occured to me that we need SQL Server, and apart from Express, this is not free.

The site is going to be pretty big - up to 20 "regions" each with different content available in up to 4 languages (each) and maybe around 100 pages of content on each i.e. up to 80 000 pages. The client has asked that once I've developed it, they can take over, so may grow even bigger eventually.

Does anyone have any experience of whether this would fit inside a (10GB limit) SQL Express database? I've never built anything with Umbraco (or any other CMS for that matter) so I've no idea if this is a silly question or not - apologies if it is!

Also there is going to be a fair bit of multimedia content - video, audio, images and PDFs - would these be stored in the database, or are they stored on the file system with just a pointer in the db? Or is that optional?

Thanks!

• Tim Finucane 34 posts 60 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 15:42
    Tim Finucane

I thought Umbraco support MySQl databases as well. You can have a MySQL database on a Windows server.

I found this forum post about it: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/4904-Configure-Umbraco-using-MySQL

MySQL won't cost you anything.

• Happyfanaticsalsero 59 posts 81 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 15:54
    Happyfanaticsalsero

Please note you'll still be needing a license for your windows based IIS server hosting your web pages, though. (Unless you want to go with Cassini but I wouldn't risk that for such an environment.)

/HFS

Nov 05, 2010 @ 16:04
    Graham

Tim - that's awesome if I can use MySQL - I'll check the post - thank you! I had read that one of the down sides to Umbraco was you were forced to use SQL Server, but I guess it was an oldpost and they have since added MySQL support.

Happy - yes good point - the client has specifically asked for a .NET solution, so that is taken as read, but thanks anyway as I did not point that out in the original post.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 17:15
    Rich Green

I doubt very much your db will ever reach 10gb with SQL Server as all media files, pdf's etc. are held on the file system.

Rich

Nov 05, 2010 @ 22:50
    Graham

Thanks everyone! Sorry I can't high five the other responses but I don't have enough Karma points...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft