Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bill 81 posts 83 karma points
    Nov 14, 2010 @ 22:39
    Bill

All media files deleted!

So all my files in the media folder were deleted! On minute was there and a minute after I publish a node and all the files in the /media folder disappeared ! 

Good thing that I took a backup an hour ago.

Why did this happened and how It won't happen again ?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 08:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Well, this should not happen, obviously.

What version of Umbraco are you using? Some environment info would be good (windows version, IIS version), are you running any scheduled tasks (either from within Umbraco or in Windows), have you created any eventhandlers that work with the media section? And so on.. 

Nov 15, 2010 @ 08:42
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Also: is it reproducable? Are there any errors in you umbracoLog at the time of publishing?  Maybe in the windows event log?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 09:21
    Richard Soeteman

What packages did you install and what version of Umbraco are you using?

Cheers,

Richard

Nov 15, 2010 @ 10:16
    Bill

I'm using 4.5.2 on IIS7, no scheduled tasks and as far I know there are no eventhandlers by my side (but I guess that the housekeeping package uses that but I never used the media section cleanup)

Already checked the log around the time that it happened and it shows nothing weird.

Also, this happened before to an other project but it was still in development. And I was using the housekeeping package that time too. but not the media cleanup function.

Nov 15, 2010 @ 10:23
    Sebastiaan Janssen

It's hard to tell what is going on then. Were you able to reproduce the problem? If you were able to reproduce it, you could of course try again while the housekeeping package is not installed.

Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:14
    Bill

No I wasn't able to reproduce the problem... but next time I will keep my eyes open to see if something is different in the log.

Thanks though

Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:19
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Too bad, hope it's not a bug in Umbraco, but this seems to be the first report so I quite doubt it. 

One more thing, are the files also gone from your media section, or only in your /media folder? And are the entries for the media files still in your database? That might help narrow down the cause of the problem in the future.

Nov 21, 2010 @ 17:02
    Bill

This fuckin happened again when I deleted some photos from the media section !
    First, I deleted the file using the remove file checkbox. then I deleted the node.

And then all my files were gone!

I guess this is the log that will help to solve this problem

At /umbraco/editMedia.aspx?id=1356 (Referred by: http://www.------.gr/umbraco/editMedia.aspx?id=1356): System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\---------\--------\---------------.gr\wwwroot\media\7029\036pets-cat-dog.jpg' is denied. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access) at umbraco.editorControls.imagecropper.ImageInfo..ctor(String relativePath) at umbraco.editorControls.imagecropper.DataEditor.Save() at umbraco.controls.ContentControl.saveClick(Object Sender, ImageClickEventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Nov 21, 2010 @ 17:20
    Bill

@Sebastiaan Yes all the entries in the db are still there, just the files are missing.

• Fredrik Sewén 39 posts 106 karma points
    Nov 22, 2010 @ 14:42
    Fredrik Sewén

Check your folder permissions on the path 'C:\---------\--------\---------------.gr\wwwroot\media'. I have had problems before that content in some sections in Umbraco Admin wont show up if folder permissions are wrong.

Nov 22, 2010 @ 19:02
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hmm, this might be a bug in the imagecropper as well. I don't know if it tries to delete crops at some point..

@Fredrik That won't help, as the files on disk are missing, right Bill?

@Bill What a difficult problem to debug, sorry that this is happening to you. Does this happen on your local machine?  What you could do is enable visual studio's just in time debugger (in Internet Explorer, go to internet options, go to advanced and remove the checkmark at "Disable script debugger (other)". So it will then be enabled. Any time an exception occurs, VS will pop up trying to debug it. You will be asked to point to Umbraco's source code, make sure to download it. 

Until you get to debug this I'm out of ideas I'm afraid..

Nov 23, 2010 @ 00:21
    Bill

@Sebastiaan: Yes all the files were missing

Tomorrow I will try to recreate this on my local machine just to find the exception. I think that the problem is caused by the image cropper. And I really hope that it's something else cause I need the cropper !

I will definitely get back to you about this problem. 

• Erik 18 posts 39 karma points
    Oct 01, 2012 @ 16:19
    Erik

I think this bug is the root issue. http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-172

There are multiple ways to run the same code that deletes a media item and then its siblings (in this case all media).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft