Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kresten Banke 36 posts 56 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:09
    Kresten Banke

My templates disappeared!!!

Hi,

When I logged into my umbraco backend, suddenly all of my templates in the templates tree were gone...!

What should I look for in order to fix the error and get my templates back??

The website is still running and everything seems to be working, but on the backend, I can no longer see the templates - It says "Templates" in the tree in the "settings" section, but it does not contain any of my templates any longer...

Are the templates stored on the server in the umbraco folder, or are they somehow fetched from the database?

Hope that you con point me in the right direction!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:25
    Sebastiaan Janssen

While I can't be sure what happened: the template live in both the database and on disk. 

Try making a backup of the /masterpages folder and then one by one re-create the templates in Umbraco, give them the exact same name that they had before (the filename without the .master extension). This should give you the current contents of the template file as it lives on disk.

As always, have a look in your umbracoLog table and the windows event viewer to find any recent problems that might have caused this problem somehow.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:27
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ps. Have a look at these Google results for possible causes.

• Colin Browne 31 posts 52 karma points
    Nov 26, 2010 @ 17:25
    Colin Browne

I've had this happen to me on a few occasions, in all cases it was a corrupt template name that caused the issue.

• Kresten Banke 36 posts 56 karma points
    Nov 27, 2010 @ 22:56
    Kresten Banke

Apparently the error was caused by an upgrade to the latest umbraco version. In the 'master' column in the 'cmsTemlate' some values were changed from '0' to 'null'. I changed it back and now it works again...

Thanks for the help!

• Rob 43 posts 79 karma points
    Nov 10, 2012 @ 23:03
    Rob

Interesting.. This just happened to me.

I had just added a new template and then my main master page and all it's child pages went bye bye.

I opened the database and went to the cmsTemplate table.

For the master that everything hung off i set the master column to NULL.

Now - they are all back.

so.. dont freak, open the database and take alook at the rows .

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft