Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    Dec 02, 2010 @ 21:05
    Tommy Poulsen

Investigating Examine error log entries

After upgrading a site to 4.5.2 I got around to investigate the error log entries in the Umbraco db.

It turns out that I've got a number of entries like this:

[UmbracoExamine] Cannot index queue items, another indexing
    operation is currently in progress,

with no other errors or error text, and I seem to be able to provoke this error by publishing a node.

I have not tampered with any Examine setting.

Does anyone have an idea about what could be wrong, or what I could do to investigate it further?

>Tommy

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Dec 02, 2010 @ 23:19
    Aaron Powell

Can you post your Examine config files?

Dec 03, 2010 @ 08:42
    Tommy Poulsen

Sure

ExamineIndex.config:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!--
    Umbraco examine is an extensible indexer and search engine.
    This configuration file can be extended to create your own index sets.
    Index/Search providers can be defined in the UmbracoSettings.config

More information and documentation can be found on CodePlex: http://umbracoexamine.codeplex.com
    -->
    <ExamineLuceneIndexSets>
    <!-- The internal index set used by Umbraco back-office - DO NOT REMOVE -->
    <IndexSet SetName="InternalIndexSet" IndexPath="~/App_Data/TEMP/ExamineIndexes/Internal/">
    <IndexAttributeFields>
    <add Name="id" />
    <add Name="nodeName" />
    <add Name="updateDate" />
    <add Name="writerName" />
    <add Name="path" />
    <add Name="nodeTypeAlias" />
    <add Name="parentID" />
    </IndexAttributeFields>
    <IndexUserFields />
    <IncludeNodeTypes/>
    <ExcludeNodeTypes />
    </IndexSet>

<!-- The internal index set used by Umbraco back-office for indexing members - DO NOT REMOVE -->
    <IndexSet SetName="InternalMemberIndexSet" IndexPath="~/App_Data/TEMP/ExamineIndexes/InternalMember/">
    <IndexAttributeFields>
    <add Name="id" />
    <add Name="nodeName"/>
    <add Name="updateDate" />
    <add Name="writerName" />
    <add Name="loginName" />
    <add Name="email" />
    <add Name="nodeTypeAlias" />
    </IndexAttributeFields>
    <IndexUserFields/>
    <IncludeNodeTypes/>
    <ExcludeNodeTypes />
    </IndexSet>
    </ExamineLuceneIndexSets>

ExamineSettings.config:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!--
    Umbraco examine is an extensible indexer and search engine.
    This configuration file can be extended to add your own search/index providers.
    Index sets can be defined in the ExamineIndex.config if you're using the standard provider model.

More information and documentation can be found on CodePlex: http://umbracoexamine.codeplex.com
    -->
    <Examine>
    <ExamineIndexProviders>
    <providers>
    <add name="InternalIndexer" type="UmbracoExamine.LuceneExamineIndexer, UmbracoExamine"
    runAsync="true"
    supportUnpublished="true"
    supportProtected="true"
    interval="10"
    analyzer="Lucene.Net.Analysis.WhitespaceAnalyzer, Lucene.Net"/>
    <add name="InternalMemberIndexer" type="UmbracoExamine.MemberLuceneExamineIndexer, UmbracoExamine"
    runAsync="true"
    supportUnpublished="true"
    supportProtected="true"
    interval="10"
    analyzer="Lucene.Net.Analysis.Standard.StandardAnalyzer, Lucene.Net"/>
    </providers>
    </ExamineIndexProviders>
    <ExamineSearchProviders defaultProvider="InternalSearcher">
    <providers>
    <add name="InternalSearcher" type="UmbracoExamine.LuceneExamineSearcher, UmbracoExamine"
    analyzer="Lucene.Net.Analysis.WhitespaceAnalyzer, Lucene.Net"/>
    <add name="InternalMemberSearcher" type="UmbracoExamine.LuceneExamineSearcher, UmbracoExamine"
    analyzer="Lucene.Net.Analysis.Standard.StandardAnalyzer, Lucene.Net" enableLeadingWildcards="true"/>
    </providers>
    </ExamineSearchProviders>
    </Examine>

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Dec 03, 2010 @ 11:24
    skiltz

I get this error sometimes too.  If you want a quick fix just delete the examine index files in the app_data/TEMP directory.  You'll probably need to stop the website while you do this as the files will be locked.

Dec 04, 2010 @ 01:03
    Aaron Powell

The only thing I can think of is if the app pool dies and Lucene.Net doesn't get a chance to cleanup after itself it'll keep a lock file around and the next time the app starts it can't obtain access to the index

Dec 04, 2010 @ 08:19
    Tommy Poulsen

Ok, thanks for your feedback guys. Since these are currently the only errors in my log I'll continue keeping an eye on it (it's on a hosted site, so I don't have direct access to the IIS).

• sharon Schmidt 12 posts 32 karma points
    Dec 06, 2010 @ 19:13
    sharon Schmidt

How do I know which ones are the "index Files" in the app_data/temp directory?

Dec 06, 2010 @ 21:53
    Aaron Powell

In the ExamineIndexes folder

• organic 108 posts 157 karma points
    Dec 15, 2010 @ 22:12
    organic

I, too was seeing these errors in the umbracoLog table, so I took the advice above and deleted the App_Data\TEMP\ExamineIndexes folder.  It was recreated, but now the table has many "[UmbracoExamine] Cannot index queue items, the index doesn't exist!" entries.  I really don't even know what 'Examine' is or if I need it.  I've never thought about it or configured it.

I Restored the ExamineIndexes folder back from the Recycle Bin and the log is back to logging the original error, "[UmbracoExamine] Cannot index queue items, another indexing operation is currently in progress," I don't understand this thing.

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    Dec 16, 2010 @ 11:24
    Lennart Stoop

Hi,

We are also experiencing this issue.

The only solution seems to have the Lucene index recreated. 

Does anyone have an idea how this can be achieved?

• Dean 55 posts 98 karma points
    Jan 20, 2011 @ 22:37
    Dean

Did you guys find a solution to this issue? I understand about the appPool dieing and locking files, but this is a consistant issue for me when bulk creating and deleting and publishing nodes. The first time the bulk process will run fine, but subsequent attempts will always return this error, and the appPool was not killed prematurely. The error has also been popping up randomly when publishing through the UI.

I don't know how to go about fixing this and I really need to get it sorted.

I have a front end search based on lucene, and I have created an index for this front end search. DocTypes/nodes that are being indexed are the ones that i'm attemping to modify through bulk process.

Independanlty these processes work fine. I have the bulk node management process running in an umbraco instance that does not use lucene and the code works perfectly.

If I just make a front end search through the lucene index it returns results as expected without any issues.

Combine the two and I consistantly get the "Cannot index queue items, another indexing operation is currently in progress" error message.

I stumbled across a post that suggested upgrading the lucene engine. But I can't find those instructions again. The post suggested that the latest lucene files were much much better with indexing, does anyone know how to go about upgrading my lucene version and where to get the files and which files. My umbraco version is 4.5.2

Please help!!!

Thanks.

• Vi 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 22, 2011 @ 02:36
    Vi

Hi All,

I've also noticed the issue described by Dean. Further more, I've discovered the following behaviour: when publishing a large batch of documents, the progress dialog resets (the count of published document) whenever the indexer runs in the background. You can see the evidence in the umbraco log. Whenever this occurs, the publish dialog never completes.

So, no answers yet, but hopefully this makes sense to the Umbraco team.

• Ricardo 24 posts 56 karma points
    Jun 17, 2013 @ 19:15
    Ricardo

Had this problem everytime hit publish (Umbraco 4.7.1). Tried many things but at the end had to leave ExamineSettings.config empty like that

<Examine>

<ExamineIndexProviders>

<providers>

</providers>

</ExamineIndexProviders>

<ExamineSearchProviders defaultProvider="InternalSearcher">

<providers>

</providers>

</ExamineSearchProviders>

</Examine>

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: