Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• stephen 32 posts 52 karma points
    Dec 07, 2010 @ 14:42
    stephen

Existing Site and Umbraco

Hi guys,

Today I installed Umbraco because I read its nice to use and compatible with visual web developer.

I created a site in visual web developer 2010 and I'm just wondering is it possible (and easy) to open an existing site with Umbraco? Or do I have to recreate it using the Umbraco environment?

If anyone could point me to documentation on how to do this it would be great or if anybody has tips of a simple way to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Dec 07, 2010 @ 14:47
    Rich Green

Hi Stephen,

You can run an existing web app in the same application as your Umbraco site if that's what you mean.

You 'can't open it in Umbraco', do you mean open it in Visual Web Developer?

If you want to run an existing site alongside Umbraco you need to edit the following line in the web.config file

<add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco,~/install/" />

The directories here will be ignored by umbraco and just run as usual.

Rich

Dec 07, 2010 @ 17:10
    stephen

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your response. I'm not at home right now but will try your suggestion when I am.

What I'm trying to do is open my existing website with umbraco so i can edit images text and so on. I have my site designed already (with vwd) and I'm wondering can I view and modify it with umbraco like with the runaway homepage it creates for me.

i.e. edit my websites home page which i created in Visual Web Developer with umbraco.

Thanks for you help

• Anthony Dang 1404 posts 2558 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Dec 07, 2010 @ 17:19
    Anthony Dang

"I'm wondering can I view and modify it with umbraco like with the runaway homepage it creates for me.

i.e. edit my websites home page which i created in Visual Web Developer with umbraco."

The quick answer is eventually.

When building sites in Umbraco you create your masterpages, css, and js as usual, but your aspx pages are created using the content tree in Umbraco. But before you create content nodes you need to define what is in the node. I.e you need to create a document type (under settings).  

You then assign your master page (Umbraco calls them templates) to your content node.

Umbraco has heaps of documentation to get started. You should really do as much reading and demo viewing as you can before diving in. It will save you a world of pain.

http://umbraco.org/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco

Good luck.

Dec 07, 2010 @ 18:09
    stephen

Hi Anthony,

Your description helped get me on track. I'll start going through the documentation and videos over the next few days and hopefully get it working.

Thanks again.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft