Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Haris 12 posts 32 karma points
    Dec 19, 2010 @ 19:46
    Haris

Hi all,

I'm new to Umbraco, and I need someone to lead me to the right direction. Where can I find tutorials for real beginners? 

Is there any sample project (web site) with database and source code built using Umbraco I could download? 

Thanks.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Dec 19, 2010 @ 19:54
    Kim Andersen

Hi Haris

I would suggest that you try to install the Runway starter kit when you install Umbraco for the first time. Runway is a small website, where the most basic functions can be seen, tried out, changed etc. So maybe this can give you an idea of how things work.

I would also suggest that you watch the free introduction videos here. The videos will give you a good introduction to Umbraco, and maybe you should try clicking around in the backoffice, while you watch the videos.

Besides that you can ask anything in here. There's plenty of friendly user that will help you when you have questions, so don't be afraid to ask :)

/Kim A

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 19, 2010 @ 22:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Haris

I agree with Kim on those starting points he has already mentioned.

I would just like to add this wiki entry: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/a-complete-newbie%27s-guide-to-umbraco

And I will also recommend til CWS package, which can be installed from the "developer" section in umbraco. You need to go to "packages" and select the "umbraco package repository". On your right you now have the option to select "starter kits". From here you can install the package. It has some more advanced examples than Runway. So I recommend that you familirise yourself with Runway first and then move on to CWS.

If there's anything you have any doubts about just ask here on our :-)

Welcome to the community

/Jan

• Haris 12 posts 32 karma points
    Dec 20, 2010 @ 11:01
    Haris

Hi,

thanks for your replies. Will try all that. Hope to become an Umbraco master. :)

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Dec 20, 2010 @ 12:18
    Matt Brailsford

Hey Haris,

Kim and Jan's suggestions are probably your best, but if you don't mind splashing out a little, a subscription to umbraco.tv would give you a great head start (http://umbraco.tv/help-and-support/video-tutorials). Also, if you have a company backing your learning, attending a level 1 training course is a sure fire way to get up and running quickly (that said, I'm not sure what training is in your area).

Otherwise you can't go wrong with Kim and Jan's recommendations. Just give it a go, and don't be scared to ask any questions.

Best of luck.

Matt

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft