Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jay Dobson 75 posts 121 karma points
    Jan 18, 2011 @ 18:32
    Jay Dobson

Accessing Umbraco install from within browser on server

Hi All,

I've installed two copies of Umbraco on a Windows Server 2003 R2 machine, and because I don't have access to modify DNS entries, I've setup my hosts file on my local machine to point to the server's IP address for the entries umbraco and umbracoprod. These work fine from my local machine.  I'm able to get into both the front and back end of each installation.  Now here's the issue:

I have courier (demo) running on both sites and for some reason it's not working.  I figured maybe the server wasn't able to communicate between sites, so I added the hosts entry to the server as well for both umbraco and umbracoprod.  I opened a browser on the server to try each site and I'm able to crawl through the front-end of each site, but when I login to admin I get the following screen:

It does nothing after this, and I'm not seeing anything helpful in the IIS logs.  Am I missing something blatantly obvious here?  Do I need to get DNS entries added for each site in order for this to work?

Thanks,

Jay

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 18, 2011 @ 19:11
    Lee Kelleher

Could JavaScript be disabled in Internet Explorer?

Jan 18, 2011 @ 19:19
    Jay Dobson

Oh boy. :)  That should have been obvious to me since it was kacking-out with the AJAX loader sitting there.  I added the sites to the trusted site list for IE and sure enough it worked.  So I suppose since it's a JS issue, my courier issue is something different. 

Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 18, 2011 @ 19:27
    Lee Kelleher

No worries Jay... I've been there too! I was sat in-front of the screen for half-an-hour scratching my head. Lesson learnt!

No sure about the Courier issue - sorry.

Cheers, Lee.

Jan 18, 2011 @ 19:37
    Jay Dobson

Not a problem.  I'm having our systems guys add DNS entries for each site.  I'm getting a proxy error when I try to transfer data, but the sites themselves are able to communicate with the packages repository (thanks to code for a proxy HTTP module I snagged from one of these forums), so I'd assume it could communicate with another site on the same IIS installation. :)  I'll be sure to post a resolution as soon as I have it.

Jan 18, 2011 @ 20:32
    Jay Dobson

And turns out modifying the hosts file wasn't enough.  I had DNS entries added for each site on the network and courier did its thing.  Well, it complained that I haven't setup my templates or document types on the destination server, but other than that it's all good. :)

Thanks again!

Jay

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft