Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kay 10 posts 30 karma points
    Jan 19, 2011 @ 13:16
    Kay

How do you update production deployments and retain existing content?

We have recently deployed two websites using Umbraco. These are being actively used. However we also have development versions of these websites to which we have been adding new features (Macros, Doctypes and Controls). What I would like to know is how the community goes about reconciling differences. In other words how do you go about updating a production deployment of Umbraco with new functionality and still retain the existing content, doc types and site structure?

I'd be interested in what the community consensus (if there is any) on how best to address this.

Many thanks

Jan 20, 2011 @ 14:56
    Kay

Anyone?

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jan 20, 2011 @ 20:00
    Kim Andersen

Hi there Kay.

What I usually do when I nede to deploy some new macros, templates, document types etc. I use packages. Depending on how much we are talking about, I tend to create a package of the stuff I want to deploy, and then install the package on the production server. By doing this I'm sure the stuff that I'm deploying will be the exact(okay mayb not the same ID) same on both of the environments (no typos etc.). Beside that it can save a lot of time to do it this way.

/Kim A

Jan 21, 2011 @ 01:04
    Kay

Thanks Kim

This would probably work for us as well.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jan 21, 2011 @ 10:12
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

Courier 2.0 (which is not available yet) will solve this pain for your in the future.

Check out http://umbraco.org/products/more-add-ons/courier for now.

Until Courier 2.0 is live I take a different approuch. I program all my changes in a usercontrol and run this on my local development box, staging and live environment. Works very well.

Cheers,

Richard

Jan 25, 2011 @ 11:50
    Kay

Hi Richard

So to clarify, most of your changes are in Macros which you simply copy over to staging and live environments? 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft