Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Crane 34 posts 80 karma points
    Feb 03, 2011 @ 18:09
    James Crane

object error following package install

Hi,

I've created a package on one installation of Umbraco and installed it onto another, however when I run the new version (following full publish) I get the following error:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.page..ctor(XmlNode xmlNode) +273
       umbraco.presentation.templateControls.ItemRenderer.GetFieldContents(Item item) +560
       umbraco.presentation.templateControls.ItemRenderer.ParseMacros(Item item) +175
       umbraco.presentation.templateControls.ItemRenderer.Init(Item item) +37
       umbraco.presentation.templateControls.Item.OnInit(EventArgs e) +154
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +333
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +210
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +378

No further information, althought I have turned debug in the web.config on. Is anyone able to point me inthe direction to solve this please?

Thanks for any help

JC

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 03, 2011 @ 21:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi James

So you can't access the backoffice at all or is it specific nodes in the content tree that fails? Is the package installed on an Umbraco instance that is running the same version number of Umbraco? And what version is this happening on?

/Jan

Feb 04, 2011 @ 08:25
    James Crane

Hi Jan,

Thankyou for getting back.

The backoffice is absolutely fine - images are missing but this is to be expected from a package. I can open all the nodes, view imported content. I can view all the templates and document types. I can publish the site and do a full republish from the content node. If I look at a content node it has been assigned the correct template etc.

However when I try and view the websitesite (or preview from the backoffice) I get the above error. The two umbraco installations are exactly the same version, the only difference is the one the package was created in was MySql powered, the one the package is being installed into is MSSql powered - this is why I'm doing the export (client request to change underlying db and the other methods I found on the internet were unsuccessful).

Version is mbraco v 4.5.2 (Assembly version: 1.0.3891.20719) -and this is on both version.

So a seemingly successful package and deployment but failure when viewing the published site.

Thanks for your help

JC

Feb 10, 2011 @ 18:25
    James Crane

Thanks Jan for your help, however I traced the issue to someone hardcoding a nodeid on the page - the .net error was just unhelpful.

Thanks again

JC

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 19:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi James

ah yes hardcoded id's can break havoc sometimes - Happy you got it sorted out :-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft