Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick Portelli 76 posts 102 karma points
    Feb 07, 2011 @ 17:33
    Nick Portelli

Best way to develop site local and push to production?

Without using Courier.  I can't justify the expense of Courier yet.  Especially since so far it is just a personal site.  Judging by the similar topics list, make sure you backup and copy files down to dev to get the live site then copy back up when done?  Any tips/tricks?

Nick

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Feb 07, 2011 @ 18:14
    Jason Prothero

Do you have a copy of Visual Studio 2010?  It has a way to do data comparison (if you have access to the live DB) and you could use something like Beyond Compare to sync files.

However, if you can copy locally, then make changes, and copy back up without anything changing between the first copy and deploy then that seems like a simple and good solution.

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Feb 07, 2011 @ 18:17
    Petr Snobelt

For personal site you can simply use SQL CE and you have xcopy deployment ready site.

Petr

Feb 07, 2011 @ 18:26
    Nick Portelli

I do have VS2010 and no changes would be made between the copy down andthe deploy since it is my site.  

It is a personal site, but I was a little afraid to use SQL CE since so many of the other projects/plugins can't use it.  But that might actually be the better option.  I don't suppose there is a simple way to transfer a SQL DB site to a SQL CE site...  I don't have any content though so would be just easier to reinstall everything.  

On that note is there a way to "reset" a clean install?  ie Do I have to change something in web.config to make it look like a first run?  Or delete some files somewhere?

Feb 07, 2011 @ 18:43
    Feb 07, 2011 @ 19:39
    Nick Portelli

Awesome, good to know.  I don't think my host allows sql express on my plan, but cool non the less.

Feb 07, 2011 @ 21:16
    Petr Snobelt

It should be possible to attach it to full sql or backup it and restore on full sql.

Feb 07, 2011 @ 21:51
    Nick Portelli

Ohhh...I get it now.  Thank you.

• iku 41 posts 70 karma points
    Feb 23, 2013 @ 15:26
    iku

Hi,

Instead opening a new topic or thread I decided to ask here. I'm not so happy with the function of WebMatrix? I'm not sure doing it all right. I created a site and did online some changes. I'm using a MS SQL server for database on my host provider.

I read it is recommended to use a CE database locally? If I delete all local stuff and want to be able to backup or get my site local with webmatrix, visual studio or else, what will be the best practice?

regards

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft