Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony Bolton 83 posts 109 karma points
    Feb 17, 2011 @ 21:51
    Tony Bolton

Best way to update site containing content with latest build?

Hello!

I've downloaded the latest source which contains a vital fix on the macro performance I need.  I've got it all compiled and ready to use - but what's the best way of updating an existing site created from the 'official' release?

The bin directory is a given, but what do I need to worry about and what steps should I take in updating?  I don't want to break or lose any content, and I've a number of packages, templates installed etc.  I guess I need some kind of 1-2-3 guide!

Any help much appreciated as always :)

Tony

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 17, 2011 @ 22:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

Since you're already running Umbraco 4.6.1 I don't think any of the packages would be in danger of creating havoc with the update you're about to make. And since you don't touch the database I think you should be able to do this without getting in trouble. But of course you *must* make a backup of all the files and perhaps also the database just to be sure you don't end up crying and want to slaughter me for giving bad advice ;-)

Once you have done your backup if you don't have done so already I think you just need to overwrite the following folder

/bin
    /install
    /umbraco
    /umbraco_client

And then you should be good to go.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you ;-)

/Jan

Feb 17, 2011 @ 22:12
    Tony Bolton

Haha Cheers Jan, they're the folders I thought, but as always best to check!  I'll give it a go in a bit and let you know ;)

Feb 27, 2011 @ 20:03
    Tony Bolton

Hi Jan,

Finally got around to updating.  I've taken the latest nightly build and applied the folders.  All good in the admin end,but the actual site is failing with the following exception and failing to render macros (it just displays 'Error parsing XSLT file' for everything) :

InnerException Unable to load one or more of the types in assembly 'umbraco.MacroEngines.Legacy, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. Exceptions were thrown: System.TypeLoadException: Method 'get_SupportedExtensions' in type 'umbraco.MacroEngines.Legacy.DLRScriptingEngine' from assembly 'umbraco.MacroEngines.Legacy, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' does not have an implementation. Unable to load one or more of the types in assembly 'umbraco.MacroEngines.Legacy, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. Exceptions were thrown: System.TypeLoadException: Method 'get_SupportedExtensions' in type 'umbraco.MacroEngines.Legacy.DLRScriptingEngine' from assembly 'umbraco.MacroEngines.Legacy, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' does not have an implementation. at umbraco.BusinessLogic.Utils.TypeFinder.FindClassesMarkedWithAttribute(Assembly assembly, Type attribute) at umbraco.BusinessLogic.Utils.TypeFinder.FindClassesMarkedWithAttribute(Type attribute) at umbraco.macro.GetXsltExtensionsImpl() at umbraco.macro.b__4() at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem[TT](String cacheKey, Object syncLock, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem) at umbraco.macro.GetXsltExtensions() at umbraco.macro.AddMacroXsltExtensions() at umbraco.macro.GetXsltTransformResult(XmlDocument macroXML, XslCompiledTransform xslt, Dictionary`2 parameters) at umbraco.macro.loadMacroXSLT(macro macro, MacroModel model, Hashtable pageElements)

I downloaded the build and updated the DLSScriptingEngine class to have the correct implementations but that didn't work - the site is still just rendering "Error parsing XSLT file" for each macro item in the page whichever way.  Really weird.

Any ideas?  Sense I'm nearly there as the new build actually fixed a nightmare problem I've been having in the admin end with inherited document types.

Cheers

Tony

Feb 27, 2011 @ 20:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

Hmm, that's odd...

Try having a look at the xsltExtensions.config file in the "Config" folder - does it look allright?

Otherwise I think it can be related to those binaries Pinal is mentioning in this post? http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/17798-XSLT-Macros-not-getting-rendered-after-upgrading-to-47-beta

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Feb 27, 2011 @ 21:03
    Tony Bolton

Hi Jan

Yeah the config file looks ok.  The umbraco debug is coming up with this now (I deleted those files Pinal mentioned).  Tried resetting the cache etc. but completely stumped!

Macro loaded from cache (ID: 33, Breadcrumb) 0.269384683265753 0.000297 renderMacro Rendering started (macro: Breadcrumb, type: 1, cacheRate: 0) 0.269412259977883 0.000028 umbracoMacro

Before adding extensions 0.269461828245255 0.000050

umbracoMacro InnerException An item with the same key has already been added. An item with the same key has already been added. at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource) at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add) at umbraco.macro.GetXsltExtensionsImpl() at umbraco.macro.b__4() at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem[TT](String cacheKey, Object syncLock, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem) at umbraco.macro.GetXsltExtensions() at umbraco.macro.AddMacroXsltExtensions() at umbraco.macro.GetXsltTransformResult(XmlDocument macroXML, XslCompiledTransform xslt, Dictionary`2 parameters) at umbraco.macro.loadMacroXSLT(macro macro, MacroModel model, Hashtable pageElements)

Feb 27, 2011 @ 21:11
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

Hmm, yeah...I'm not entirely sure why this happens...

Could you perhaps try and select your the root node in your site en publish all the sites again - does this help?

/Jan

Feb 27, 2011 @ 23:50
    Tony Bolton

Hi Jan,

I think I've finally got there.  I downloaded the build from the end of Jan (not the Feb one), and merged the bin, install, umbraco and umbraco_client folders as before, and that seems to have done the trick.

Incidentally is there an easy way to find the correct branch that compiled a build - it'll be useful to have the source if I have issues.  What lead to all the problems was a weird issue where I had a document type which had a parent (ie. Box -> News Box, Event Box etc), but during the course of adding properties etc., it caused it to fail during the 'addNewControl' method of the ContentControl class - where the PropertyType object was null causing an Object ref not found exception.  Still don't know what caused it even after extensive debugging, hence the need to upgrade (which incidentally has fixed that problem - yey!).

Thanks for all your help btw :)

Tony

Feb 28, 2011 @ 07:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

I'm happy to hear you got it solved. I'm a bit puzzled that it did not work with the latest nightlies of 4.6.2 though...But hard to say what it is, since it can be many different things....

Have a nice day :-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft