Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jay Dobson 75 posts 121 karma points
    Mar 16, 2011 @ 15:00
    Jay Dobson

My Website Is Seemingly Unpublishing Itself

Hi All,

My website -- jaydobson.com (yeah, it's lame, but I haven't had time to do anything with it) has twice now seemingly unpublished itself.  All nodes show as being published, but when I went to the site this morning and a couple weeks ago, it had the orange "There's still stuff to do..." setup screen that one sees right after installing Umbraco.

I'm wondering if perhaps someone hit the site when the database was down (I'm just grasping at straws here) and somehow that led Umbraco to think it had no nodes and needed to be setup?

Could it have been hacked?

Any thoughts?

I'm on shared hosting, which is why I wondered if maybe it was a database temporary disconnect issue.

Thanks,

Jay

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 16, 2011 @ 19:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jay

I don't think the site has been hacked but I've seen people have issues with this before.

I think this post could perhaps be the place to search for a possible solution: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/11310-Site-Unpublishing-Itself?p=1

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Francois 4 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 24, 2011 @ 01:10
    Francois

I'm having the same issue. It only happened twice in several months, so diagnosing it is....non-trivial at best.

It seems to be happening pretty much randomly, for no reason... once it was at night, once in the middle of the day. One moment the site is there, the next its like it was brandnew and nothing is published.

Not too fun to explain to the client...

Mar 24, 2011 @ 01:29
    Jay Dobson

Ouch!  Luckily it's just happening to my personal site, but my team at work is working on an umbraco site, so hopefully I can figure out what's causing this to avoid it happening with that one. 

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the DB filling-up.  When I created the DB I set the quota to 25MB without really considering it.  I couldn't publish another node the other night and realized what I'd done.  It was the first time I'd attempted to add anything to the site since the issue started, so I'm wondering if on a page request something's trying to save to the DB and coming back with an error that causes Umbraco to think there are no published nodes.  The nodes are there, and they all show as being published, so I'm wondering if that's it.

How's your DB size compared to it's quota?  Maybe if you're experiencing a similar situation we have a place to start.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Mar 24, 2011 @ 02:10
    Tom Fulton

Hi Jay,

Are you running 4.6 or earlier?  This is most likely a known bug where if the website restarts and the DB is not available for whatever reason, Umbraco never rebuilds the cache and reverts to the 'no nodes' page.

This should be fixed in 4.7.  But if upgrading isn't an option, Darren Ferguson has posted a workaround on his blog. Basically it consists of modifying the noNodes page to check the cache and rebuild it if needed.

http://www.darren-ferguson.com/2010/11/2/working-around-the-%27no-nodes%27-issue-with-umbraco-45x

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/13649-Site-repeatedly-reverting-to-no-nodes-splash-page?p=0

Hope this helps,
    Tom

Mar 24, 2011 @ 02:15
    Jay Dobson

I'm running 4.6 at home and for the site we're building at work.  We've made some updates to some of the core files at work, so I'm not sure upgrading is an option there either.

I'm willing to bet this is the issue.  I'll give it a whirl and if I experience any wierdness down the road I'll update. :)

Thanks,

Jay

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Mar 24, 2011 @ 02:24
    Tom Fulton

Sounds good, hope that does it!

On a side note, just happened to see this similar thread, probably not your issue but thought I'd mention it:  http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/18741-no-pages-found-Looks-like-there%27s-still-work-to-do-randomly

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft