Grouping Pages and URLs

I have a site layout

• Root
      • Group
        • Page1
        • Page2
        • Page3
      • First Level Page

I don't want the page called Group in the tree above to appear. I just want it to serve as a grouping mechanism for its children. This means I don't want it to appear in the navigational structure explicitly, although I will want to get its children to display a navigation tree in the site somewhere.

At the moment, I've experimented with umbracoUrlAlias and umbracoUrlName, but I can't affect the underlying framework without editing the umbraco sourcecode to alter what niceUrl and locallink parsing does at runtime.

I have set additional fields call navUrl on the document type and have managed to manually set the Urls this way, but this means my pages merely have additional urls, rather than overridden primary ones.

Others must surely have come across this issue.

Help most appreciated.

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Mar 18, 2011 @ 05:20
    bob baty-barr

sounds like a job for urlRewriting - but i have never written a rule to remove a level or folder from the path... very interested to see if someone can enlighten us on this one :)

• Adrian Inman 35 posts 59 karma points
    Apr 18, 2011 @ 16:26
    Adrian Inman

I have ended up customising the source for umbraco. Overriding the way it generates niceUrl and then the reverse - when the request is generated, I have used the umbracoUrlAlias to get resolution from url-> page render working. It is a hack - would really like to know the proper way to do this.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft