Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick Portelli 76 posts 102 karma points
    Mar 20, 2011 @ 21:26
    Nick Portelli

MSSQL server to SQLCE4 ?

I know(think) it is fairly easy to upsize a SQLCE database to a sql one.  I made an uninformed decision when I set up my website.  I really like the idea of being able to copy and deploy my website and to copy it down for backup, especially with better support for SQLCE now.  Is there a way to downsize a sql DB to CE?  

On another note I suppose it would not be all the bad to start over...I don't have much(read any) content really in there yet.  Just the few bug fixes needed for the business template.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Mar 20, 2011 @ 22:08
    Aaron Powell

There's nothing wrong with running live websites of SQL CE4, in many instances it can be a good option. The only concern I have about it is scaleability. High traffic websites are not going to scale out as well on CE4 as they would on a full SQL implementation (also running multi-headed webserves with an embedded databases provides a challenge!)

I'm not sure if there's any automated tools for moving from one DB type to the other. You can generate SQL scripts from SQL Server which you can then run against a CE4 database (using Visual Studio 2010 SP1, not sure about WebMatrix though).

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Mar 20, 2011 @ 23:35
    Paul Blair

Hi, not sure if there is a tool for migrating either but the best option if you are starting again would be to package up your existing templates, document types etc and import into a new project.

• Nick Portelli 76 posts 102 karma points
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 03:13
    Nick Portelli

Well I'd be happy if I had to worry about scalability.  I don't think I'll have high traffic.  I already have it on sql, so I'll probably leave it there.  I can create backups or difference scripts.  

Paul good call on the packagfe.  Thanks.

• Brendan 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jul 28, 2011 @ 13:47
    Brendan

Hi Guys

I hope someone can help.

I've build a website using SQL CE, now I need to upgrade to MSSQL, is there any easy way to do this, webmatrix has a migrate button under the database section to migrate it, but it requires a username and password, No database username and password is required when setting up a SQLCE, It is now asking for a username and password but I don't have one. it is not the same as the one setup specifically for umbraco.

Please can someone help

Thanks
    Brendan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft