Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Iain Martin 54 posts 98 karma points
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 18:28
    Iain Martin

Linking a Member to an Event

We are developing a website that requires us to link a member to a specified event or meeting. We are using the built in members from Umbraco to store all the membership data - these are either locations/business or a single individual.

The events are created as umbraco nodes.

What is the best way to link these two things togther?

I have not used Umbraco before, all my sites have been 100% bespoke database driven and I know how to do this by linking tables together in SQL.

Would I need to create a table in the Umbraco database to store this or could it be done in XML - which I guess is the same thing, only a different file format. If it is required to use another table or file, how would one go about popuating this on the post back.

I can usually figure most things out, so I am not necessarily looking for a working code example, but some pointers would be useful.

Regards

Iain

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 18:38
    Tom Fulton

Hi Iain,

The Umbraco Relation API would be perfect for this - Hendy has an excellent blog post explaining what you need to get started, see:  http://blog.hendyracher.co.uk/umbraco-relation-api/

If you have umbraco.tv, there's also a few videos on Relations, including one that explains the exact feature you are looking for (Event signup with relations)

Hope this helps,
    Tom

• Iain Martin 54 posts 98 karma points
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 22:00
    Iain Martin

Thanks Tom.

That looks pretty much what I want to do, so I'll have a play when I'm back in tomorrow. No doubt I'll have some more questions as it all goes on. As a newbie to Umbraco, I;m still sorting out in my head the ins and outs of this CMS system in regards to XSLT, code-behind, user controls etc. And as primarily a VB.NET (don't groan, someone has to do it) I also have to 'struggle' with c#!

Iain

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft