Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick Portelli 76 posts 102 karma points
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 02:39
    Nick Portelli

Any very simple ecommerce solutions?

I'm looking for a really simple ecommerce soultion for a charity website.  Has anyone found something like this?  Umbraco or something that is easy to plug in?  Since it is a charity preferably free.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 07:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nick

I think you should consider having a look at tea commerce or perhaps super simple webshop, which can be found in the packages section. These packages are not free but perhaps you can cut of a deal with the creators if you tell them a bit about this charity project?

Tea commerce is relying heavily on jQuery so there is no serverside code that needs to be taken care of.

Hope these pointers are helpfull.

/Jan

Mar 25, 2011 @ 14:53
    Nick Portelli

Thanks.  They maybe a little heavy, a whole commerce solution is not needed.  But I will look into them.

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 15:06
    Gordon Saxby

You could just add a PayPal button to each page as required? There is even the ability to add a "shopping basket" feature.

Mar 25, 2011 @ 15:13
    Nick Portelli

I researched that a little last night.  Definitely a possibility.  But they kind of needed inventory status too.  Wasn't sure how to accomplish that.  I think you could with doctypes and macro's in Umbraco but I do not know it well enough to do that.  There is the Google store that links to Google Spreadsheets though that may be an option.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 15:46
    Rich Green

Isn't that alot of messing around when there's already tools to do the whole job from €99 ? (and thats before possible charity discount)

It might be 'overkill' but you could just use the bits you need.

Rich

Mar 25, 2011 @ 16:11
    Nick Portelli

What tool is 99 Euro? I don't think the charity would be willing to pay unfortunately.

And I'd say yes it is a lot of messing around. 

Mar 26, 2011 @ 09:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nick

http://www.supersimplewebshop.com/purchase - Click on "compare versions" and then you can see the price of a hosted version.

Be aware that SuperSimpleWebshop is undergoing a name change...think they're calling them self "uWebshop" now - that's what they posted on twitter last week. But does not seem like it's in effect yet :-)

As I said earlier in this thread I think it's worth the try to contact the people behind the above mentioned shop and teacommerce - present your agenda and let them know it's for charity and see whay they say. Maybe you're lucky and they will happilly sponsor this for charity...maybe not. But at least it's worth the try before starting to create something yourself :-)

/Jan

Mar 26, 2011 @ 14:55
    Nick Portelli

Thank you I did contact them.  Decided to go with DNN, because hosting was free and there is a lot of DNN experience here.  I plan on learning Umbraco more and pushing it.  It's great. (skinning for DNN is weird!!!)

Mar 26, 2011 @ 18:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nick

Happy to hear you found a solution even though it means it won't be Umbraco based. I hope that the charity organisation will benefit from the solution you are about to make them :-)

Yes, Umbraco is really nice but sometimes the learning curve can be a bit hard. But once you *get* it I think you will fall in love :-)

/Jan

Mar 31, 2011 @ 16:34
    Nick Portelli

I just want to say I emailed both uWebshop and Tea Commerce about a charity license.  They both responded yes they could donate one.  As I mentioned before we didn't go with Umbraco, not DNN actually.  So I did not get to use these great packages.  I just wanted to thank them both and mention yet again how great the Umbraco community is.  I plan on learning Umbraco more so next time I can use it.  

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2011 @ 20:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nick

Guess you don't doubt that the Umbraco community is in fact the most friendly of all, huh? ;-)

Props to uWebshop and Tea commerce for offering their product for the good cause! You rock guys.

/Jan

• Anders Burla 2560 posts 8256 karma points
    Apr 04, 2011 @ 11:35
    Anders Burla

Hi Nick

Glad you asked us to help, but to bad you didn't learn Umbraco this time :)

Next time you need to play with ecommmerce within umbraco just install Umbraco 4.7, Tea Commerce and Tea Commerce starter kit. Then you have a great start for building an ecommerce.

Starterkit: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/tea-commerce-starter-kit
    Tea Commerce documentation: http://www.teacommerce.dk/en/documentation.aspx

Hope to see you some more in the Umbraco community in the near future!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft