Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean 64 posts 116 karma points
    Apr 01, 2011 @ 15:12
    Sean

Changing admin folder -> /umbraco/ to a custom name

I was wondering if there is anyway to change the admin folder from its default "umbraco" name. For example...

Instead of: http://www.mysite.com/umbraco/

Use: http://www.mysite.com/myAdmin/

Thanks!

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Apr 01, 2011 @ 16:06
    Rich Green

Hi,

IN theory this is supposed to work by changing a the following settings in the web.config file

<add key="umbracoPath" value="~/umbraco" />
    <add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco,~/install/,~/ipro" />       

However I think this cause some problems, though there's a chance these have been resolved in the versions since I've tried it.

Rich

Apr 01, 2011 @ 16:07
    Rich Green

Obviously you would need to rename your physical "umbraco" directory too.

Rich

• Martin Rud 232 posts 902 karma points c-trib
    Apr 01, 2011 @ 17:10
    Martin Rud

A way to achieve the goal and still avoid any techical side effects is making a rewrite rule the UrlRewriting.config in  that makes a redirect:

<urlrewritingnet xmlns="http://www.urlrewriting.net/schemas/config/2006/07">

<rewrites>

<add name="goToAdmin" redirectMode="Permanent" redirect="Domain" ignoreCase="true" rewriteUrlParameter="IncludeQueryStringForRewrite" virtualUrl="/myAdmin" destinationUrl="/umbraco/login.aspx" />

/Martin

Apr 01, 2011 @ 17:13
    Rich Green

Nice solution Martin.

The only problem with this is that /umbraco/ is still available which I guess is what most people want to avoid having as the url

Rich

• Sean 64 posts 116 karma points
    Apr 01, 2011 @ 18:10
    Sean

Thanks for the input guys.

Perhaps if I use both Martin and Paul's example, I could combine the two to use both urlRewriting and change the directory name....

/// Sean ///

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Apr 01, 2011 @ 22:11
    Fergus Davidson

to follow on from Rich's comment, i think the config changes should work in principle.

BUT, i think that people have experienced problems with some of the packages which include absolute references.

if you search the forum a bit, you will find plenty of similar questions and quite a few problems associated with this.

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Apr 02, 2011 @ 08:32
    Daniel Bardi

You can do an IIS url redirect with url masking + the umbraco url redirect.. The only issue is that several packages do not use the global Path variable in the API but instead point directly to the /umbraco folder.. those packages would break.

• Stephen 47 posts 69 karma points
    Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:52
    Stephen

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Umbraco and I'm looking to change the name of the umbraco admin directory. I've arrived at this post but can't actually work out what the solution is.

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction please.

Steve

Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:55
    Rich Green

Hey Stephen,

To be honest I don't think there is a straight forward way of doing this, a lot of packages have hardcoded the /umbraco/ path. Frustrating I know.

Rich

Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:58
    Stephen

Thanks Rich. That was quick. It is a bit frustrating. I just want something simple that my non-techy users will remember.

Steve

Oct 26, 2011 @ 13:00
    Rich Green

Hey Stephen,

If it's for this purpose (and not to remove the /umbraco/ domain) then you can just use URL rewriting, should be pretty straight forward.

I don't have time to dig out the code, if I find time I'll come back to you.

Rich

• Martin Rud 232 posts 902 karma points c-trib
    Oct 26, 2011 @ 19:45
    Martin Rud

Hi Stephen,

The following code in /config/UrlRewriting.config works for me:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<urlrewritingnet xmlns="http://www.urlrewriting.net/schemas/config/2006/07">

<rewrites>

<add name="goToAdmin" redirectMode="Permanent" redirect="Domain" ignoreCase="true" rewriteUrlParameter="IncludeQueryStringForRewrite" virtualUrl="/admin$" destinationUrl="/umbraco/login.aspx" />

</rewrites>

</urlrewritingnet>

With this, www.domain.com/admin goes to www.domain.com/umbraco/login.aspx. I use this as default in my installations since I agree with you that users like a more friendly admin-url.

Regards,
    Martin

Oct 27, 2011 @ 15:34
    Stephen

Thanks all, and Martin for the last bit. It works for me.

It would be better if the Umbraco part didn't appear but it seems this is not possble.

Cheers

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft