Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bill 81 posts 83 karma points
    Apr 20, 2011 @ 13:43
    Bill

Can umbraco handle a huge site ?

I am about to built a site that everyday will be updated with about 50-60 pages and the expected visits are almost 2000-3000/day.

Can umbraco handle this amount of data and visits?

I thought that it would be better if all the news items can go to a seperate db table and I could build a section to manage those items.

Any suggestions and/or solutions ?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 20, 2011 @ 13:58
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Easily :-)

Currently running a few sites with that amount of visitors and I've not even added caching to any of the macro's, it's still super fast.

One thing to note though is that you should expect the tree in the backend to slow down if you have many childnodes under one node. 50-60 would be just fine though, so I would recommend you work with datefolders for those:

News
        april
            NewsItem1
            NewsItem2
            NewsItem...
            NewsItem60

Something like that!

Apr 20, 2011 @ 14:27
    Bill

Yeah sure... but what if you have 50 pages/day, every day the xml is expected to grow almost 60-70kb... so in a year you have mb's of data.

So if I use datefolders (which I don't know if they work in 4.7 for sure) am I going to be ok?

Can anyone give an example of a huge site that works great? I think that wired is on umbraco and have this amount of data (but we don't know if their news are on the node tree)

Oh, btw I should say that most of the news are on pdf and we are going to upload them.

Apr 20, 2011 @ 14:42
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I don't see the problem really, one of these sites (with about 2000 nodes and 2000 - 8000 visitors a day) is running at a 20 MB umbraco.config file. That's nothing! Xpath statements are very efficient and you should not see a performance hit for a LONG time, even with large XML files.

Wired indeed still uses the default nodes in Umbraco, no seperate trees. They did optimize other things like caching because they have hundreds of thousands of visitors a day. But for your purposes, you will not need to optimize for that.

You will need a lot of bandwith to serve those PDF's though ;-)

Apr 20, 2011 @ 15:11
    Bill

Well... bandwidth is not a problem :p

Well, me too I think that this is not a problem now that I'm thinking better over it. And I think that I should use macro caching. And the thing is that we will have members with different access levels on the site (depending on the member group of each user) so with the caching It will be faster.

Thank you man. I would give you some karma but I can't cause I'm lower than 70 points... and to think that I use umbraco for the last 6 years ! (not in a large project like this though!)

Apr 20, 2011 @ 16:07
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hey, it's always good to make sure you make some informed decisions! 

Personally, I would develop the site without macro caching in mind at first, that way you create the most optimal performance straight out of the box. If that starts to hurt the speed after a while, you can then begin to implement caching or make sure that you've not written some slow code that goes to the database a lot.

Ha! It's okay, I have plenty of karma at the moment. :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft