Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Yaya 11 posts 31 karma points
    May 05, 2011 @ 22:56
    Yaya

Help with 301 rewriting config.

Hi,

I have implemented a 301 permanent redirect using the url rewriting config in Umbraco v 3.0.5

The old pages are not belong to Umbraco web site . Only the new one.

When i try to get into the old url (to check if the 301 is working) i got this error: (this only one example but it happend for all the urls)

No umbraco document matches the url 'http://www.apy.co.il/default.aspx?umbPage=/askDetails.aspx&hotel=1542'

its 301 in the rewriting config file looks like this:

<add name="301xxx_2"
         redirect="Domain"
         ignoreCase="true" rewriteUrlParameter="IncludeQueryStringForRewrite"
         virtualUrl="http://www.apy.co.il/askDetails.aspx?hotel=1542"
         redirectMode="Permanent"
         destinationUrl="http://www.apy.co.il/ProviderDetails.aspx?Prvdr=1179" />

What i did wrong?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 05, 2011 @ 23:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Yaya

If you have installed Umbraco and have some custom made .aspx sites you need to be able to link to then you must add them in the umbraco web.config file.

You need to do this in this section

<add key="umbracoReservedUrls" value="~/config/splashes/booting.aspx,~/install/default.aspx,~/config/splashes/noNodes.aspx" />

here you can add the pages that is not created as nodes in umbraco like...

<add key="umbracoReservedUrls" value="~/config/splashes/booting.aspx,~/install/default.aspx,~/config/splashes/noNodes.aspx,/yourdefaultpage.aspx" />

This should do the trick for you.

As far as I know you don't need to use the url redirect stuff.

/Jan

May 05, 2011 @ 23:23
    Yaya

Hi,

Thank you for your fast reply.

I am not sure I understand. (Sorry, but my programmer which build all our sites in umbraco, left.  so i am not familiar with it so much and actually feel lost :-) )

I create a new site using umbraco for my client.

This client had an old web site which contained the old urls.

Today his domain  redirect to our server (ip).

So, because the new pages are already in the Umbraco, what you mean by "custom made .aspx sites " and "add them in the umbraco " ?

Thanks .

May 05, 2011 @ 23:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Yaya

Oh in that sense...

ok, then I can understand that you're a bit puzzled about it.

What I thaught was that you have some .aspx pages in the umbraco installation...so that in the root of your installation on the file system you would have somepage.aspx...But since this is not the case let's forget about that completely...

Must admit that I'm no expert in url redirects...but I know there is another way around it...but need to do some research on it first since I can't remember all the steps involved as I'm writing this.

Will return if it comes to mind. Otherwise there are plenty other bright heads in here who can surely help you out :-)

/Jan

May 05, 2011 @ 23:45
    Yaya

:-) thanks.

Have you know someone specific which i can post directly to him with this quastion?

The problem is that the new website is already on air and the old urls used in google organic SEO so if google will scan the new site the client will lose all his advantage .

May 05, 2011 @ 23:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Yaya

An effective way to draw attention to a post is to post a link to it on twitter describing what the problem is about and then using the #umbraco hashtag.

If you use twitter I think you should try this out.

I have played a bit around with the method I'm thinking about but I don't think it will be usefull in your scenario unfortunately :-/ - So I'm also interested to see how this issue can be resolved :-)

/Jan

May 12, 2011 @ 06:45
    Yaya

Hi Jan,

I put in twitter but nobody help me.

Do you have someone specific which I can ask?

I really stuk with this serious problem.

Yaya

• Gene Foxwell 17 posts 39 karma points
    May 16, 2011 @ 14:35
    Gene Foxwell

Hi,

We ran into a similar problem.  As far as I could tell the problem is caused by the query string part of the virutal url:

http://www.apy.co.il/askDetails.aspx?hotel=1542

To get around the issue, we changed our virtual urls so that we replaced the "?" symbol with "(.*)".  This seems to be working for us, but I am not sure if it is best practice or not.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft