Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin 278 posts 662 karma points
    May 24, 2011 @ 12:00
    Martin

Live Site & Test Site

Hi all, 

First post on the forum and a newbie in regards to developing with Umbraco. (im more of a designer)

I'm starting my first project with Umbraco from scratch and would like some advice on how other people set up their project with regards to test sites and the live site.

Is there a general practice such as the test/development site as a sub-domain of the live domain?
    I'm just unsure regarding databases, if any content would be lossed during this process.

As I'm just starting out and setting up Umbraco, I would like to be able to have the structure in place so that if the client asks for a change it would be easy to implement that on the test site and then deploy on the live site. 

Any advice on how you work would be great.

Thanks

Martin

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    May 24, 2011 @ 12:33
    Rich Green

Hey Martin,

Welcome to the our.umbraco!

There is a product just for this purpose here http://umbraco.com/products/more-add-ons/courier (with a new improved version coming soon)

Otherwise, certain changes occur in the database and some occur on the file system, examples of these are:

File System -

Css files
    Templates
    XSLT file

Database -

XSLT Macros (the actual macro is keep in db but XSLT file is on file system)
    Doc Types
    DataTypes
    Content

For file system files, you can just ftp the files up. For changes that affect the database you'll need to make the changes somehow on the server too.

Hope that helps.

Rich

• Martin 278 posts 662 karma points
    May 24, 2011 @ 14:37
    Martin

Thanks Rich, 

Courier looks really useful for the future, but the price is a little off putting for the learning process.

Thanks again for your help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft