Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• KK 35 posts 55 karma points
    Jun 26, 2011 @ 08:48
    KK

templates for multilanguage

Hello,

We can get structure of pages in multilanguage site. But what to do for templates and document type?

Do we need to create seperate templates for each language?

Can you guide please?

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jun 26, 2011 @ 11:35
    Kim Andersen

Hi KK, it depends if you want to have the same properties on the nodes in every language. And also if you want to have the same layout on the sites.

If you want to have the same design and properties you can easily use the same document types and templates on each language. But if you want to have different properties you need to create some different document types. the same goes for templates.

/Kim A

Jun 26, 2011 @ 17:10
    KK

Hello,

Yes that's right but i want to have same structure but in different language so i have to use different templates so how do i create templates ?

is there anyway like we create pages for different languages?

Jun 26, 2011 @ 21:33
    Kim Andersen

Ohh, so you want to have only one website in your Umbraco installation, and not one per language.How would you get around the content then? And what about the hostnames?

I think the best approach will be to create a site per language inside the same Umbraco installation. MEaning that you'll have a content structure looking somethins like this:

- Content

-- EnglishSite

--- Page one

--- Page two

-- SpanishSite

--- Page one

--- Page two

-- FrenchSite

--- Page one

--- Page two

This way you can seperate the sites and set ud the right hostnames on each site. Does that make sense?

/Kim A

Jun 27, 2011 @ 05:04
    KK

Hello,

no not one website in one umbraco installation but multi websites in one umbraco installation.We can get content structure but few things like menu and footer which is hard coded in template and for different language that would be in different language so want to know whether it is possible.

Jun 27, 2011 @ 08:25
    Kim Andersen

Hmm....

I'm not sure I totally understand your question, but you can change the template on your nodes under the "Property"-tab.

There really shuldn't be any problems with the menu, if you created this using XSLT or Razor. Then the menu will be generated from the context that the page is in.

/Kim A

Jun 27, 2011 @ 09:19
    KK

Hello,

We want to create multi language website. We want to have content of pages by simply copying the same so now question is if we want to create seperate templates for three-four languages..is it possible ?

Jun 27, 2011 @ 09:39
    Kim Andersen

Yes, I get that you want to create a site with several languages. Inside of Umbraco you can create several dictionary items. This can be used whenever you have some "system"-phrases like "Search", "Buy", "Read more". You can find the dictionary in the Settings-section.

Will this help you in any way?

/Kim A

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 10:05
    Michael Latouche

Hello,

If your pages will all have the same structure, then you do not need to create a template/doctype per language. You just create one template/doctype that will be common for all languages.

How do you fill in the content in the different languages?

First, you create your site structure, from what I understand you wil have the same structure in all languages. So, the most common is to have one "top" subdirectoy per language. You then create a page in the main/default language, and fill it in.

Once this is done, you create the same page in the other languages by copying that default page: right-mouse click, option copy, check the checkbox that says something like "relate to original page". This way the pages are related and it can then be easier to handle user language switch. You should choose a language-dependen name for the copied pages (SEO).

You can then update the copied pages to fill in the content in the appropriate language.

How do you then display the content in the different languages?

Like Kim mentioned, for menu's etc. you just need to use some XSLT or razor macro's that will get the "current document properties". So this means that it will always get the properties in the correct document language, you do not need to do anything special here.

If you need to display some "hardcoded" texts or buttons etc., then the best is indeed to use the built-in umbraco dictionary.

Hopr this helps.

Cheers,

Michael.

Jun 28, 2011 @ 05:16
    KK

Hello,

i have installed digbiz dictionary package and also Manually refreshed the ClientDependency. This is done by deleting the \App_Data\TEMP\ClientDependency folder and updatee the version number in the ClientDependency.config file. But i can't see anything in dictionary folder. So what to do?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft