Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sunder Magar 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jul 11, 2011 @ 14:17
    Sunder Magar

How to setup Development Environment for Umbraco?

Hi All,

I am new to Umbraco development. I want to develop or customise something to Umbraco so I downloaded the code and tried to run in my Visual Studio but it takes me to login page instead of setting up steps.

Please let me to setup Development Environment for Umbraco.

Thanks,

Sunder

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 11, 2011 @ 14:27
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I still use this basic setup (now in  VS2010): http://cultiv.nl/blog/2009/6/1/easily-debug-your-custom-umbraco-user-controls-in-visual-studio/

The only difference is that I don't add loads of projects any more for things like eventhandlers or usercontrols, I put it all in one project:

Jul 11, 2011 @ 14:30
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ah, I just noticed that you're trying to change the actual source code of Umbraco. 

I would recommend against that STRONGLY. There are plenty of hooks into Umbraco that can make you achieve anything you want, if you start changing the source then you will never be able to upgrade.

So if you're not actually fixing things to contribute them back to the project, make sure you use eventhandlers for example to do what you need.

If you could specify what exactly you need to change then we can help you find the right extension points.

• Sunder Magar 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jul 11, 2011 @ 14:35
    Sunder Magar

Thanks for your reply!! Actually I am new developer for Umbraco and I wanted to develop themes/template for Umbraco. So, I am not going to change any code in the core of Umbraco rather I just wanted to know how to run the project in Visual Studio so that I can think of theme/template development and read through the documents to develop themes and templates.

So, the only question was How to Run Source code in Visual Studio as it always takes me back go login page and doesnt let get in and see anything.

Please help me setting up for Visual Studio.

Thanks,

Sunder

Jul 11, 2011 @ 15:32
    Sebastiaan Janssen

In that case, just have a look at that blog post that I posted a link to and work from there. You do have an site Umbraco installed already don't you? Else have a look at another blog post: http://cultiv.nl/blog/2010/2/1/screencast-installing-umbraco/

• Buddhi Eashwarage 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 09, 2013 @ 07:28
    Buddhi Eashwarage

Thank you very much.I'm also new to Umbraco.It helps me a lot.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft