Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter 89 posts 160 karma points
    Jul 19, 2011 @ 21:14
    Peter

Root node giving 404

Development has been working just fine for a few weeks and all of a sudden the home page is giving the intentionally ugly page.

It is as if the page doesn't have an associated template or it isn't published. be it does and has.

I found a workitem in codeplex that looked the same, but can't find it again and that item was fixed in the 4.7RC.

oh. 4.7 MSSQL, on an inhouse dev server  

Any thoughts?

oh.... the similar topics links on the new topic page all go to  http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/NewTopic# not the actual story. :|

• Ravi Motha 290 posts 500 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 19, 2011 @ 21:22
    Ravi Motha

Has the page and all the associtaed content been published (can you verify it), why it would lose it I can't explain, but the issue sounds like missing associations.

• Ravi Motha 290 posts 500 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 20, 2011 @ 01:13
    Ravi Motha

saw the following articles not sure if they are of any help but might pint you in the right direction:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/8244-IIS7-404

also have you tried a full republish?

Jul 20, 2011 @ 10:27
    Peter

Hey Rav.

Yeah, content is pulished, and tried the "full republish". but no joy. I don't think it has owt to do with the 404 as the node is valid and shouldn't end up in the world of umbraco's 404 .. or be passed through to IIS to handle.

Here is the codeplex work item that sounded very similar.

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/30062

All a bit confusing, as it is all out of the blue. :(

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jul 20, 2011 @ 11:02
    Warren Buckley

Hello,
    So just to be clear this happened all of a sudden. No changes were made to the config files, or any new files deployed to the /bin or the rest of the site?
    Maybe you can try recreating the XML file to see if that helps.

• First goto App_Data and make a backup of the umbraco.config file
    • Then delete the umbraco.config file (This is the XML file of your site content, it may have got malformed and possibly casuing the problem)
    • Then in the content tree right click the content folder and Republish entire site
    • This should regenerate the umbraco.config file for you
    Let me know if this helps or not.
    Cheers,
    Warren 

Jul 20, 2011 @ 11:07
    Peter

So, something is amiss. I have published, unpublished replublished all blah blah. but nowt. So I decide to add another home page and publish that. 

BAM. it's alive again. home page displays as expected.

unpublish the new page and deleted it.

Published the orginal home page again, it is still works. but all the pages (which are published as they are in the navigation) when loaded just load the home page.

Something is screwy, possibly currupt :( . It is as confusing as my ability to convey the situation.

Jul 20, 2011 @ 11:21
    Peter

Hey Warren

I hadn't gone as far as actually deleting the file, just sitting confused by the odd behaviour of it all.

Anyway ..it has resolved it.

super.

thanks.

Peter

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jul 20, 2011 @ 11:27
    Warren Buckley

Hey Peter,
    No problem and glad to help out. But yes very rarely the umbraco.config file can get corrupt and cause some random problems like this.

Cheers,
    Warren

Jul 20, 2011 @ 11:30
    Peter

yeah, it was all a little random. Thanks!

• Niels 63 posts 119 karma points
    Oct 15, 2013 @ 14:48
    Niels

Hi, I've the same problem, but it occurs randomly. When I refresh the web.config all the things seems to work perfect, but if I navigate through the website the 404 pops up when I go back to the rootnode and from that point it gives me back a 404-error. 

I've tried the solution in this topic and it seems to work (I was cheering at my desk ;-)), but after a while navigating through the website the 404 pops up only at the homepage/rootnode, it's very frustrating, so can somebody help me on this one? (cheering is now swearing :-( )

I'm on v6.1.6 on a 2008 R2 Server with IIS7

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft